head shaking

RayRay

Jan 8, 2017
I am really concerned i was accidentally hurting may yesterday as she was shaking her head a few times(athoguh i was paying attention to her ears and they wernt back or anything. they were up), and I feal really bad if I was.

I was just wondering what that meant and if I did it meant i had a two tight grip on the rains or something but thinking about it she tends to do it more outside then inside..

It can mean a lot of things, dust in the air, bugs around their nose/eyes/ears, they don't like the bit, they don't like the contact, they are over excited, they have an itch, they have a dental issue etc. etc., I am sure if you were the root of the problem your RI would have suggested you change the way you were doing something so I would try not to think too much on it :)

I should be more specific, 'a head shaker' is not all of the above things, a horse can shake its head without being 'a head shaker' which is generally a much more serious, long term problem which can make the horse unrideable.

shes not unrideable I'm share my riding a school wouldn;t let any one ride her if that was the case. I just got a lillte a bit conncied for her I metthoned how much I like her before :)

shes not unrideable I'm share my riding a school wouldn;t let any one ride her if that was the case. I just got a lillte a bit conncied for her I metthoned how much I like her before :)
Sorry I wasn't suggesting she's a head shaker, just trying to be clear that not all horses who shake their heads are :) just didn't want you to be concerned if you looked up head shaking and saw the more serious version :)

I rode a horse last Sun who was basically the opposite of Flash (my beloved boy who is on box rest) - does not like a contact at. all. And spent the whole 45 minute lesson either shaking his head, backing up, or expecting me to ride with my reins like blooming loopy washing lines. o_O

He wasn't happy unless my hands were practically on the buckle. My goodness though he taught me to ride with my seat... after all, if you can't touch his face, you gotta direct him somehow. Whole lesson felt like a battle. I learned how much I love and miss my FlashMan. :(

I rode a horse last Sun who was basically the opposite of Flash (my beloved boy who is on box rest) - does not like a contact at. all. And spent the whole 45 minute lesson either shaking his head, backing up, or expecting me to ride with my reins like blooming loopy washing lines. o_O

He wasn't happy unless my hands were practically on the buckle. My goodness though he taught me to ride with my seat... after all, if you can't touch his face, you gotta direct him somehow. Whole lesson felt like a battle. I learned how much I love and miss my FlashMan. :(

yeah I think she does outiside and not inside as when I rode her inside before and yesterday I was inside and she didn;t do it then but did when we were out side, what Happened to Flash?

what Happened to Flash?

He was kicked in his field, vet said due to where he's been kicked being on the bone with no padding, there's a risk of it being fractured but it won't show on an x-ray on the day it was done. So he could be absolutely fine or he could have a fractured leg that could "blast open" (vet's words, not mine) at any point if we just put him out in a field. An x-ray on the day he did it showed a hairline of something that might or might not be something if you cock your head to one side and squint. So he has been on rest for almost 2 weeks. Vet is coming out Monday to repeat x-ray and see where we go from here.

I don't think he'll be sound on Monday as the wound looks v sore, but I'd love the vet to say there's no fracture.

newrider.com