Headshy Charlie and the clicker

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
Charlie is usually unfazed by everything, but in the last few days he's been very reluctant to have his fly mask put on. I don't know why, except that about a week ago he was bitten by a horsefly right between his eyes (when the mask was off at night) and it seemed to bother him. This morning he was a complete monkey and wouldn't even let me put the mask on when I had him haltered. He flung his head about and wrenched away, and afterwards he wouldn't let me near his front end (though still presented his bum for scratches).

I really really don't want a headshy horse so I thought some clicker training might help. I've only done one clicker session with him before, 3 months ago, when he learned to turn his head away for a treat. When he heard the clicker - he turned his head away! Great memory, Charlie, but not what I want today.

He moves a lot and very quickly, so it's hard for me to get the timing right and catch him doing the right thing. He was so reluctant to have me touch his head that I had to put his halter on (which he allowed easily, oddly) and even then it was a struggle. I had to hold the halter and the clicker with one hand and approach with the other. But he got the idea! Within no more than 10 minutes he was allowing me to put my hand on his forehead, click and reward him.

I left it at that for the day because he was beginning to look tired and he was licking and chewing. But I am pleased that he responded positively to the clicker. I didn't try to put his mask on, I think that will have to wait and be built up to.

It's quite a business dealing with him as he is quick and strong and doesn't realise how little I am compared to him. But I am not frightened of him the way I was to start with, I think we know each other better now.

Clicker training is fab, I'm a convert. Ale is bolshy and throws his weight around when he wants. I initially taught him that he got a reward for turning his head away, much like you did and this helped so much with personal space for the training.

Ale is really head shy of having his mouth touched and if he saw a wormer tube prior to this training he would either dissapear or get aggressive if he couldn't escape.

This is after 5 sessions and isn't perfect but was filmed at half 6 in the morning during lockdown. Ale is such a clever boy

Yep clicker training works for billy. He started being funny about me bridling him again a couple of months ago. Why i dont know. He just gets these blibs from time to time. It got to a point that his head was so up in the air i couldn't reach. I started getting upset and cross with him everyday, so in the end it was just a battle. So i took stock and did some treats and clickering and he has improved. Back to being able to put the bridle on without the treeats. I really need to spend some more time to teach him to voluntarily bridle himself when i offer it up. Ive watched some videos on what i need to do. Just need me to find some patience.

Reactions: Jane&Ziggy
newrider.com