Snowyboy

Jun 6, 2007
Sunny South Wales
Had a health check done on our pony

the official report has come back and this is the summary findings

1. High laminitic risk - adv 4 week feet trimming
2. Slight congestion in both ventral lung fields - monitor
3. Has small pignmented area on left bulba conjunctiva with small vesicles

For 1 - we have seen the farrier who said he's fine but 4 weeks is too severe so he'll do every 5 - 6 weeks and see how we go

We've bought a grazing muzzle which we are introducting slowly at mo

We have got a girl to ride him more - she's better rider than our one so he's getting loads more exercise

My small pony cavesson has turned up this morning so I am going to start lunging him

Hopefully that will deal with #1

#2 - we've moved his stable away from the dusty sheep pen and hay/straw barn he was in
He's out almost 24/7 - been in 2 nights in 3 weeks
We've moved to soaking any hay we gave him
We are looking to change his bedding for the winter
he's not coughed once since the vet's been - but he'd just been in for a week in awful dusty conditions due to a bad kick he'd got, he'd only been out a couple of days - he'd been in for 5 days on a worming programme - so hopefully its not going to be a biggie for us

#3 - any ideas what that means? He told us at the time to keep an eye on it incase it grows - but I couldn't find anything when I googled it but I coudl be doing it wrong

Overall - what do you think?

He's a first pony and really lovely in nature

The bulbar conjunctiva is part of the clear membrane that covers the eye. It is usually clear, so what they have seen is a small area of discolouration on it. Could be absolutely nothing, but can be a symptom of something serious. So just keep an eye on it and if it changes at all, give the vet a call.

Who did the health check for you :confused:

You have PAID for this report... so get the vet to explain what it all means, the implications of it all and the conclusions he he/she has drawn from it. You are a customer after all!

newrider.com