Heartbroken

Got his results tonight. Normal reading would be 30, rising to 50 this month as the readings get higher at this time of year. He is 32. So would not currently treat him and re-evaluate in November and if necessary do a full dynamic test. Put him out at night and on the older longer grass of which we have a field about 3ft high. Keep him in work and if possible increase it.....I haven't the heart to break that news to him.
Good news at last!

That's great news, hopefully he takes the news well ;)
he has just peed on his clean white socks so I am off to remedy this as we are showing today.....he is a picture of health apart from his coat . he may not be out of the woods, when we retest who knows. The vet was pretty sure he would be ;positive by a margin so she was pleased by the results and so leave him for the moment and monitor him

Reactions: Jessey and Huggy
That's brilliant news. How is he with the vet and needles? Only reason I'm asking is that stress can elevate levels so if he was a bit het up when the blood was taken that can affect the results. Jack's levels were always elevated when he was brought into a stable for testing. His best results were always done in the field.

Reactions: Jessey
That's brilliant news. How is he with the vet and needles? Only reason I'm asking is that stress can elevate levels so if he was a bit het up when the blood was taken that can affect the results. Jack's levels were always elevated when he was brought into a stable for testing. His best results were always done in the field.
not bothered about needles at all we took the bloods in the field, he just hates syringes

the vet actually brought her students to do him for his flu jabs and his tests as he is so good, just stands there like a lamb

Reactions: Huggy
I agree with everyone else. Also horses can be managed with it.
I too know how it feels for a horse to be diagnosed with cushings... sox was 10. But since he has been on meds he has been fine. Ok there is the bloods whixh cost 160 quid twice a year as he cant have the standard one as it doesnt show up! Silly boy.
Hugs x
Can I just pick your brain on this? My horse has had laminitis a few times over that past few years. He tests negative for cushings even though he shows the signs (I think!) what bloods do you have done and how do they differ from the standard test?

Op. Best of luck!

Can I just pick your brain on this? My horse has had laminitis a few times over that past few years. He tests negative for cushings even though he shows the signs (I think!) what bloods do you have done and how do they differ from the standard test?

Op. Best of luck!

It was a THR test i believe. Sox also came up negative on the normal test.
@Jessey can you remember which one sox had? Not the one where they put steroid in first

Reactions: Toz
It was a THR test i believe. Sox also came up negative on the normal test.
@Jessey can you remember which one sox had? Not the one where they put steroid in first
It's TRH stimulation test, it's not steroids they inject, it's TR Hormone. They take 1 lot of blood first to give a baseline and then inject the TRH and wait 10 mins for it to work then take another lot of blood. Both samples have the ACTH checked, if the increase it too great its conclusive of ppid.
Baseline ACTH testing it more accurate during the seasonal rise, TRH stim is most accurate outside of the seasonal rise but is generally a more accurate test as gives less false results and is less effected by stress.

Reactions: Toz and lauren123
newrider.com