Heavy Feet

ploddycob

I love chunky cobs!
Sep 6, 2005
Teeside
does anyone struggle with picking out their horses feet? I have an irish cob, and it kills me picking his feet out as he is soo heavy?? anyone else have this problem?? or am i just a wimp... :D

As Sadie gets more and more muscled up, it's definitely been getting harder. When I started riding her, she looked like she was about eight months pregnant, because she was, well, fat. ;) But she's been getting all buff now, and as those muscles in her hind-legs get bigger, those legs get heavier to pick up.

I can sympathise with you.

I used to rest Monac's hoof on my thigh to pick out feet, but found he was more likely to lean his weight on me. I've found that if I just support his toe with my hand, it discourages the leaning.

(Must admit, whenever my hubby is around, I get HIM to do it for me!)

If he's leaning on you it's just bad-manners. No horse should be 'heavy'. You can't possibly be expected to carry his weight - if so, we would never be able to pick out the clydesdales and shires feet ;)

You need to get him to carry his own weight. Before you pick his foot up, make sure he's standing square with the three other legs. Use your voice and hand (and possible a dig in the shoulder/hip if he refuses) to get him to shift his weight onto the other legs. Then pick up his foot. Once you've got it, don't let him lean. I find that if they do, a sharp upwards push makes them shift the weight. OR by holding onto a small chunk of feather - it's uncomfertable for them to lean on the legs and pull the hair.

Of course, make sure he's not doing it because he's unbalanced of sore, but mostly they're just being bad-mannered :rolleyes: . Pink's a large heavy cob with HUGE feet but most the time I don't even need to hold her foot - she holds it up for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
What Pink's Lady said :)

And.. if you are sure he's just being lazy about holding his own weight up, point his toe up so he can't just put his foot down, hold on lightly and let his weight take his leg slowly towards the floor. Most realise that maybe they had better hold themselves up at some point before reaching the floor :rolleyes:

I used to have this problem with my instructors 18hh idxtb and he was a big chap to argue with, i managed after a lot of hard work and patients to teach him that leggie or hup, meant pick it up and i always went the same way around picking out, started on off front and worked around to near front so he knew what to expect, i taught shadow it too and its very easy now and no leaning!!!! make it something you can teach him and praise him when he does it right!!!!
It is laziness and bad manners to lean on you when u pick out feet

both mine have been taught to lift their feet on request. the hoof on the front nearside is 1 and the front offside is 4. if you say "number 2 up" they will lift the correct foot :) and one of these is an irish cob. he picked it up in no time.

Sorry to Hi-jack this thread but I have a question.
I have problems picking up my boys feet and everyone who manages to get him to do it comment on how heavy his feet are.
The other day after a full on battle I managed to get his front foot up and normally he whips it straight back down but my YO showed me how to hold it right up so he doesn't. It's always the same foot he makes a big deal about, so much that you could be pushing on him and his body could move half a meter but that foot is still on the ground rooted to the spot. Anyway he fell on me, full on leaned on me and then just fell forwards like he couldn't support his weight.
I mentioned this to some people on the yard and they said that sometimes it happens.
I know he is a little sore on one of his hind legs as the back lady came out and said he had a swivel on his hip could this be contributing to this.
OR is he just being rude, he always leans on me.

one of my mares doesn't hold the weight of her back feet its seems like 'if you want to lift them you can hold them attitude' and it gets heavy, if I was to just let them go and not place them down (like I do) they would just hit the ground with a huge thud! I just see it as another one of her traits.

I have that problem with a mare at my RS - Beauty, a approx 16hh heavyweight cob. She's a big girl, and is not a good horse to choose to have an argument with ;)

She's fine with her fronts, will let me pick them up and she will support most of the weight. The backs, however, are a totally different story :rolleyes: First, she will constantly move round the stable, refusing to stand still unless she's wedged with her back end in a corner, making it impossible to pick feet up. When she is finally standing still (which can take any time upto around 20-25mins, even when she's tied up :rolleyes: ), she will refuse to pick her back feet up. So we fight over her feet for a while, the eventually she will pick them up. She will then not support her foot AT ALL, and expects the unfortunate person picking them out to hold them up for her, and with her being so big, they are VERY heavy :eek: ;) So then, I try supporting her feet on my knee, or holding them by the toe. If you don't have a firm grip on her foot and aren't holding it up for her, she will snatch her leg upwards, then slam it down as hard as she possibly can (my friend's hand was in the way one day... that was painful :eek: )

Just really can't win with her. It kills my back doing her feet, and you need at least half an hour free to guarantee that you can get her feet picked out in one go :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Skye holds his feet up himself, but some of the riding school ponies I was working with didn't seem to be able to bend their legs. Squeezing their chestnuts helps get their feet up higher, and a prod in the side if they start leaning on you.

Because I'm supposed to be careful of my back and because Bram hates his feet picked up, we've reached the following compromise:

I tilt the sole of the foot upwards but leave the toe on the floor, then crouch beside him and pick the foot.

Bram will jerk his foot away if I try picking it up but will actually turn his own feet over as I come to them now. He still leans on the farrier like crazy, but I figure for what I'm paying him he can figure out his own solution. :p

I've found Hew can't hold his back right hoof up properly. Very gentle stretching of the hind legs seems to help though. I think it is October's Horse and Rider that describes some stretches. Maybe give it a go and see if it improves his balance.

newrider.com