Height prediction guesses of an Appaloosa x Welsh A??

Astala77

Jun 14, 2017
IMG_1038.JPG My lovely filly is the result of a 15.3hh/16hh appaloosa/TB stallion getting into field of a 11.3/12hh Welsh section A pony mare! Filly is currently 13.1hh on the stick and turned 2 last month. Vet estimated mature height of 14.3/15hh and dentist thought more 13.2/14hh. She looks just like her sire in build (like a spotty fine TB) with her dams dainty legs! String test comes up 14.1hh. Am hoping the latter at least so I can ride her (I'm 5'5 and 9.7st)! Any fun guesses from experience welcomed!
Ive added photos of her dam and sire.....

Attachments

• IMG_8397.JPG
    IMG_8397.JPG
    162.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6618.JPG
    IMG_6618.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Reactions: Kite_Rider
I can't why you couldn't ride her the height she is now. So allowing for an extra few inches she might make 14hh.

Yep, as already said above, at her age, the string test will be pretty reliable.

No idea, but hope you stay on the board so we can find out! She's gorgeous - very striking. I would never have guessed she had Welsh in her lol.

Thank you all! I'm slightly obsessed with what height she'll make but don't think I could sell her even if she didn't make any bigger! 14.2hh would be great but if I keep my weight down 14hh would be fine too. She will only ever be a happy hacker for me anyway. When she's older I will probably part loan her out so she can experience more fun things! Hoping to take her to a couple of in hand shows this summer in the meantime. Will try to remember this post and let you know how she does and how big she gets!

Attachments

• IMG_1010.JPG
    IMG_1010.JPG
    989.9 KB · Views: 6
In my experience a lot of people say ponies at 4yr old still might gain another inch or two but.. so far everything i have seen has gained 95% of its height by the end of it’s 2nd summer. They might come up very slightly over winter into the 3rd year and from then on they mature out.

Thank you all! I'm slightly obsessed with what height she'll make but don't think I could sell her even if she didn't make any bigger! 14.2hh would be great but if I keep my weight down 14hh would be fine too. She will only ever be a happy hacker for me anyway. When she's older I will probably part loan her out so she can experience more fun things! Hoping to take her to a couple of in hand shows this summer in the meantime. Will try to remember this post and let you know how she does and how big she gets!
I am 10 stone and mine is 14hh.

View attachment 87229 View attachment 87229 Eek! My fillys new field mate has moved in, a 15hh Welsh cob gelding....and she looks so weeny compared to him! Making me realise that she's never going to make anywhere near that height...but also how finely built she is! I know 14hh will be ok for me but what about the build? She is clearly going to be like her sire, a very fine appy x tb ...am worried now as can't afford to keep her and buy a bigger one

newrider.com