Hellish Week - healing vibes needed

Sparklie

Jun 3, 2005
hartlepool
Thank God this week is nearly over!!

I seriously think that the horses have been trying to give me and my friend a heart attack this week!!

Horses came in last Sunday for winter. Now onto winter grazing and in overnight. On Monday when I turned Buzz and my friend's horse Harvey out they'd hardly eaten overnight and seemed really depressed. By Monday night I was worried about Buzz. He didn't eat his tea and didn't touch his hay. Harvey seemed dull but ate most of his tea and I put it down to them running around and eating too much of the new grass. Went down late Monday to double check on them and they seemed depressed but ok.

Buzz improved whilst Harvey got worse :frown: A few other horses had seemed dull and then picked up too so I was convinced it was a daft virus and they'd get over it. By Wednesday Harvey now really not looking good and his owner kept him in all day to monitor what he was eating and drinking and pooing. Thursday morning we were really worried about Harvey. Buzz was fine by now.

Called the vet who examined Harvey and said she'd never felt a spleen so big!! Or in the wrong place :cry: and whisked him off and admitted him to horsepital to be scanned and have bloods taken. We were convinced he had a tumour or something nasty and had a little cry and got prepared for the worst.

Harvey was scanned and nothing showed other than his huge spleen. Now waiting for blood results which should be through on Monday but he's eating a bit now so that'd good news.

Today got a call from a friend who was bringing Buzz in for me to say that he'd been rolling in the field when they went to catch him...no big deal there.

He then collapsed straight down in his stable once his headcollar was off and rolled against the wall, sides heaving and then stood kicking his belly :banghead:

I rushed down and called vet. Looks like we caught the start of colic. Thank God for good friends on the yard looking out for me!! Vet jabbed him and gave him a full examination. Bless the baby, he stood so well to have rectal exam and huuuuge needles :unsure: very brave.

Have got back from the yard just now and have left Buzz with tiny haynet. He looks much brighter so fingers crossed.

And why do we have horses again!?! :unsure:

Scary stuff indeed. ((((((((((((((((healing vibes))))))))))))))))))

Healing vibes for the horses and hugs for you - hope things look better as the week goes on.

Eeek, very worrying. Lots of good healing vibes on their way. Know what you mean - why do we have them?! Sometimes it is all so worrying.

Harvey has been improving but bloods show liver damage. Vet can't find proper diagnosis but it clutching at straws and only thing she can think is that he has previous worm damage!? Possibly encysted redworm from what my friend was saying when I spoke to her earlier. To be fair we only know his history from the last 2 years whilst my friend has had him, before that he came from a dealer...so who knows what his past was!?!

Buzz much better today. Gave him haynet this morning which he's eaten half of and small feed tonight which he also managed. He's also passing poo (although not as much as usual).

Me...well...I drove to work from the farm this morning to find a totally flat rear tyre!!!! :stomp: which has now been replaced. AND, I wore my brand new top to work and a silly little dachshund has put a hole in it :cry: (I do work at a vets incase that sounds slightly odd that we had a dog at work).

Feeling pretty destroyed after last week and pretty peeed off with this one so far!!

The liver damage could be just something he ate - Rosie went down with major liver damage in June/July, chronic weight loss, very dull, looked like something out of brooke hospital, been in for biopsy seems to be on the mend, no idea what caused it.

good luck with him, it is always so worrying.

Gosh - you've been through it! Sending lots of healing.....
We had a youngster on our yard, who came with liver damage after a virus :unsure: - according to the Vet. (We are a quiet, slow little place) He was bred by YO's daughter as a eventing prospect. He took his time, but recovered well with lots of lc&a & has gone home. He is now enjoying the start of his eventing career. Just to say the liver has amazing powers of regeneration.

newrider.com