Hello Everyone, I'm new (but old!)

Little Dolphins

Nov 8, 2005
Great to find a forum which I feel able to join! Going to be 50 next April, preparing to get my 1st Horse, must be mad. But it's now or never.
Never is probably safer and cheaper...but....

I'd love to hear what you think-who out there has spent AGES getting up the nerve(and the cash) to go for it? What made you get it sorted?

Got two grown sons, got v.nice husband (no.2)!, got 2lovely whippets, I'm a trained artist and paint in my studio, have been a school teacher for decades, now I'm returning to my teenage fantasy. Oh, how it could all go terribly wrong ......

Anyone?

:eek:

Welcome to the forum Little Dolphins :) Have you found yourself a horse yet or are have you just started looking? I bet you are so excited!

I'm Jo, I'm 35 and have 3 sons, a hubby (No. 2 also), 2 boxers, the usual fish, rabbit and guineapig, and am 6 weeks into ownership of Pumpkin, my dream come true horse.

My advice... go for it! You say how things could go terribly wrong, but they could also go terribly right too! ;) Hope you've prepared the family for the messy house (no time for housework), the stinky clothes, the horse equipment lying around all over the place, the muddy boots.... My husband reckons I'm not his wife anymore, he now calls me Emmerdale lady :rolleyes: But its SUCH good fun, I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Hello and welcome to NR!

I am another older rider, not as agile as I used to be but still enjoy my ponies.
I think you are quite brave to be getting your first horse but it is very exciting. Only make sure you get the right one and keep it where there is good help and advice, you will be fine.

What sort of horse are you looking for? My own preference is for large natives and I keep Highlands plus an old coloured cob given to me by a lady of eighty who finally decided it was all too much.

Hello and welcome to NR! :) Yeah, this is a great forum - we get to hide our achey bones and insecurities here, away from the teenagers ;)

Little Dolphins said:
I'd love to hear what you think-who out there has spent AGES getting up the nerve(and the cash) to go for it? What made you get it sorted?
I'm still in the "getting up the nerve" category too :p I keep telling myself I need more experience, more cash, more time - at this rate I'll never have a horse! :rolleyes:

So are you horse hunting yet? Or are you still getting up the nerve and cash? :D

Thanks, MadMum aka Emmerdale Lady!

MadMumInKent said:
Welcome to the forum Little Dolphins :) Have you found yourself a horse yet or are have you just started looking? I bet you are so excited!

I'm Jo, I'm 35 and have 3 sons, a hubby (No. 2 also), 2 boxers, the usual fish, rabbit and guineapig, and am 6 weeks into ownership of Pumpkin, my dream come true horse.

My advice... go for it! You say how things could go terribly wrong, but they could also go terribly right too! ;) Hope you've prepared the family for the messy house (no time for housework), the stinky clothes, the horse equipment lying around all over the place, the muddy boots.... My husband reckons I'm not his wife anymore, he now calls me Emmerdale lady :rolleyes: But its SUCH good fun, I wouldn't have it any other way :D
We've got the messy house(mostly me but blame it on everyone else) and stinky clothes(washing machine misbehaving!). Your positive vibes very helpful! Great to hear you're loving having Pumpkin. How long did it take to find her/him?

Well, I started off with a Highland, I had him for 2 months but things just didn't go right. Being my first horse, I wasn't awfully confident and he took advantage of that big time. Massively long story as to the trials and tribulations of it all, but I ended up selling him to a brilliant home and he's back in the showring now and loving it :) I started looking for another before he had even left me, and found Pumpkin within a week. I went to see a few but none of them clicked for me, and then I wandered into a local riding school on the offchance, and they had Pumpkin! We definately have that click, he loves being loved, stands for hours patiently while I groom and pamper him, and already I think we have a bond starting. He's the ultimate in plod, far too ploddy for most people I think, but for me he's perfect :)

I'm not sure I can offer advice on taking the plunge after spending ages getting up the nerve, as I only started back with riding at the beginning of this year, after about 15 years break. I did lessons for a while, then shared a horse, and then got my own. All a bit of a whirlwind, but I've waited for this my whole life and I don't regret it one tiny weeny bit :D

Re your reply on another thread, I'm 5 ft 7 (and a half) ;) and Tally, the Highland was 14. 2 - he was like a barrel and took up my leg really well, I didn't really feel too big on him, so your height on a Highland is probably not going to be an issue, they generally are very chunky and wide. This was me on Tally...

tallyjo.jpg

Good luck with your search!

hello Gill, thanks for your message

Gill said:
Hello and welcome to NR!

I am another older rider, not as agile as I used to be but still enjoy my ponies.
I think you are quite brave to be getting your first horse but it is very exciting. Only make sure you get the right one and keep it where there is good help and advice, you will be fine.

What sort of horse are you looking for? My own preference is for large natives and I keep Highlands plus an old coloured cob given to me by a lady of eighty who finally decided it was all too much.

'Brave' meaning 'watch out'! I know, my head is buzzing with all the things which could befall horse and self, and I, too am not so agile as I was.
I am excited , though, as you say, and have secured spot at yard 2mins walking distance from home, full of friendly and knowledgeable (and so far it seems , non-snooty) people. However only grass livery available at present. I know that a stable would be ideal for getting to know horse, specially as winter coming. But I, too, am interested in hardy native; have been seriously contemplating Highland. At 5ft 8, do you think I'm too tall? Would need larger ridden pony. Have been looking on net, scarce, aren't they? I think Highlands are beautiful, noble and tough; real horses!

Hello LD....am an oldey too (well 42 LOL) and I've got my first proper horse now after about 35 long years of yearning, begging, stealing, working for rides and sorting out other people's horses, and life is great.........

I got mine from a horse sanctuary purely by accident really (that's another story LOL)......always wanted a hairy, bomb-proof cob, who would follow me round looking in my pockets for carrots as my first horse but, have ended up with a grumpy 20 year old Arab with a few psycho problems and we are teaching each other..........wouldn't have it any other way.........got two boys of 7 and 5 who are both at school now so have plenty of time to indulge myself during the week and she has a rest at weekends........

GO FOR IT

x

Welcome LD :) I am in my mid forties. OK then, 48!! I got my first horse age 40, after my much loved gran died and left me a small amount of money which I figured should be used to fulfil a dream.

I'd been riding with my daughters and found myself sneaking an extra lesson in, and also riding a friend's horse as well. So, after a lot of underplaying the costs of keeping a horse to my non horsey OH, and a lot of looking at totally unsuitable animals, I bought Apache a 15hh 13 year old coloured cob.

Loved him to bits for five years, and learnt a lot about how to keep a horse. As a riding school rider I didn't have a clue about that part. keeping him on a very good large livery yard with lots of help was fantastic. Unfortunately he had to be put down due to a recurring tendon injury. I've never cried so much. :(

To cut a long story short, and a wrong purchase of totally the wrong horse, with similar ending to MMIk's, I now have Seneca, a 15hh bay welsh section d, who is just completely the most wonderful little horse and life is great. I should add I'm 5ft 8in, and Sennie's just fine sizewise. I also have a friend on our yard who is the same height as me and has a 14.2 highland. She also looks just fine. We don't do loads, lots of hacking, and some low level showing and the odd, as in last week bizarre yard event (fancy dress).

In addition to him, I have the aforementioned still unhorsey OH, two daughters now at uni aged 19 and 21, and an orange fluffy cat. Oh And a very demanding job, which I should be doing now. (funnily enough I used to be a drama teacher, but now work as an IT Sales Manager).

Go for it, you'll never regret it. I haven't ;)

Last edited:
I took my very first lesson EVER (had never ridden before) at the age of 41. A year after my first lesson I bought my first horse, who I've had for seven months. I've been a slow learner and have some fear and confidence issues, but I'm getting there. It's been the best experience of my life and I LOVE my horse - a 13yo bay National Show Horse mare. We take dressage lessons; my horse is used by my trainer for lessons once or twice a week with her other students so that she gets a lot of work (I work full time and can only ride her a few times a week).

My husband and kids are used to being second now to "the barn", where I spend most of my free time. It's GREAT and you'll never do anything better for yourself. It's good for your family and friends to see you treat yourself well, too.

Hello and welcome! Go for it - I got my first horse at 43 and sadly only had her for 16 months before she passed away (she was a rescue horse and I knew our union would be a short, but v. happy one). I now have Misty, a 12 year old Section D (pictured) and have never looked back. Never have any money or clothes, always have dirty fingernails and my car and house are covered in bits of hay and shavings as I never have time for housework. Also have two cats, Millie and Sweep, and a very understanding OH. After waiting 35 years to be a horseowner I've never been so happy. Keep us posted on your search.

Hello and welcome to NR

I hope you're successful in your horse search.

I was 50 this year and have just embarked on horse ownership! I got William, a three year old, a couple of months ago.

I'm just beginning to realise how much I don't know! In the past I've shared horses and thought I knew a thing or two - I can only say that actually owning a horse has been a steep learning curve. Having said that... I love it!

I think that having good, knowledgable backup from others is invaluable. I was lucky enough to get stabling at a local riding school. All the staff there are fully qualified and extremely friendly and helpful. I know that without them everything would have taken so much longer to learn. I've just started the BHS Horse Owner course (which is being held at the stables) and have regular lessons to continue schooling William.

Good luck with your search - don't let age be a barrier!!!

Kaz x

At your height a Highland would carry you really well so don't worry about that. I am just a little shorter, with long legs and it has never been a problem, in fact one Highland we had I looked like a pea on a drum as he was so large built.

My ponies in my pictures are only 14 hands each. Abbey is quite light built for a Highland but has great strong legs. Erry is very stocky and compact. They vary quite a lot and there is one to suit almost anyone.

I think Highlands make great ponies for adults. Don't expect them all to be biddable quiet plods though as that is far from the case. Some can be fiesty and sharp, all are intelligent and strong. Poor MMiK above had a very bad experience with her Highland.

Have you discovered Highland pony enthusiasts forum

They can be quite hard to find. There is a HiPo society list, also someone called Linda Impey runs a list in S England.

Then try Native Pony Mart always worth a look. Let people know you are looking and one might pop out of the woodwork!

Welcome! I too am approaching 50 next year, with three horses and another one coming this weekend. Two Haflingers, mare and her daughter age 3, and a Clydesdale-Arab 2yr old filly. Newest one is a weanling stud colt, Paint Arab cross.

My older mare rides and drives but mostly I love being with them, feeding and cleaning them and the barn is great exercize and stress relief. I have two sons age 13 and a hubby who has some interest, sons just come out to the barn on occasion to earn money as needed! :rolleyes:

Pick a calm character and breed and you can't go wrong.... my older mare is also a total plod but that's what is perfect for me. We even look alike, short round blondes who enjoy treats too much! :D :eek:

You will have fun, keep us up to date on your search.

Hello and welcome - I class myself as an older rider - am 36 - started riding properly at 34 (had the odd lesson / hack when teenager / child). Its been a dream come true for me - still can't believe I have my own horse!!!! :D OH is as horse mad as me (luckily :p ) We have one each, I have Storm a 15hh ball of fire connie x and OH has Joe a 16.3hh tb x hannoverian gentleman :D . We eat, sleep live and breathe horses........ oh, and we have to work inbetween stable visits which is a shame but there you go........!! Our next goal is to keep them at home with us - something we're working on at the moment (just a small matter of moving house and getting planning permission for boxes but thats another story......). Enjoy the site - its brill!!!! :D

Hi and welcome, I'm Lynn 42 with 3 children. I took lessons for a year then jumped in at the deep end. I've had Rupert for about 6 weeks now.

Things are going well, thanks to a supportive YO and very friendly liveries. As Mad mum says you don't get much housework done, and sometimes when I nip into the supermarket after mucking out I notice how much I pong :D and I'm skint but so happy.

Let us all know how things progress

newrider.com