hello i really need help on mounting!!!

Sep 10, 2003
planet earth
hello people i so need help on my mounting
the problem is that my pony keeps on wanting to walk off when i get my foot in the stirrup
any help appercaited
please reply anybody
from chantelle whos birthday it is on thursday!!

Hi Chantelle, one thing that I found that worked well is when ever the horse started to walk off, I would assume that means "I've got energy mommy, give me a job!"

Soo...I would, on the ground, back her up, work on turns, walk sideways, and (eventually) end up right back where we started. Then I'd try again. If the horse walks off again, I'd repeat the process.

Generally after the third round the horse thinks its easier to just stand and have you get on then run a marathon on foot. :rolleyes:

Happy Birthday!

Mounting: Get someone to hold your pony before you mount-its a lot easier. I get my instructor to hold mine while I swing myself into the saddle.

Hi chantelle

Happy Birthday! My horse had the same problem and I have - mostly - solved it by using the same process that Silver talked about. He was so 'joined up' with me that every time I tried to get on teh mounting block he followed me round with his head! Until it was pointed out to me that he was not actually trying to avoid me mounting but was following me I must confess to getting quite annoyed with him - being told that he was just taking the p*** by the experts on the yard (amazing how many experts there are, isn't it?).

I had some help from an Intelligent Horsemanship RA who suggested that we come to a compromise and let him look around with his head, but if he moves his feet he gets backed up (put to work). it truely does not take very long for them to realise that they are supposed to stand still, although he still needs reminding occassionally as it has only been a few weeks and he was off riding for 2 weeks following an injury!

You have to be very quick and back them up the instant they move and back them up for atleast their own length or slightly more to make it obvious that there is a big difference between being allowed to stand still or being made to work! You also have to be consistant and do it every time they move! And make sure any one else who rides your pony does the same!

Good Luck:D

Also(sorry if this has been mentioned already!), make sure you aren't pressing your toes into the horses side when you get on, as this could mean that they think you are asking them to walk on.

would only second what Gypsy suggests, watch the foot is not digging in him and asking for walk-also make sure you and him are ready when you get to the block-dont spend time faffing around (not suggesting you do!) with girth, stirrups, gloves etc-seen this soooo many times and its what starts to cause problems with a younger horse and always get someone to hold him until he stands still-walking off when you are mountings a pain and the sooner you get it improved the nicer schooling and hacking will be all round!!!...also dont forget the voice, teach him to respond on the ground to stand or Whoa and it works when your on board as well...good luck

Make sure you're not accidentaly digging your toe in as you put your foot in the stirrup. It may also bethat your horses 'doesn't know' he is to stand still- so get a friend to hold him, and reinforce the fact he must not move until you are one, girth and stirrups adjusted and YOU are ready to move.

Hope this helps!!

Emma x

newrider.com