help, any adults who ride ponies looking for a new one!!

Lucy J

Weaver's Tale aka Ciara!!
Dec 5, 2001
Renfrewshire, Scotland
Visit site
I have a very sweet but occassionally nervous pony who is looking for an adult owner/loaner/sharer. I haven't time for 2, but all i keep getting phonecalls from is people looking for something for a young novice child.

he is a 13.2/3 hh up to weight (more bone than my 16.2hh) 9 yrs new forest gelding. as he ran wild on the forest till he was 7 I doubt he'll ever be a first pony, but he is genuine, comfy, willing etc, but needs a strong (not necessarily confident as i'm not) but strong rider who has plenty arm and leg!

Where can i find such a person! he would excel at WHP, endurance, is cheap to keep (and to buy), barefoot (well, he was barefoot and wild for 7 years, so why put shoes on!) i backed him and he's been brought on slowly. he's fine to be ridden with other ponies and in a riding school environment is fine for a child as he plays follow my leader, but not on his own, he likes to make his own mind up about where to go!

Is there somewhere specific I can advertise for a pony who needs an adult?

I don't frequent this part of the forum much as I find ponies much too difficult to ride and prefer my scatty ISH! but i though you chaps may be able to help!

Hi, Lucy - have you tried NFED - the New Forest Equestrian Directory? Or the project horses site? Sorry I haven't got the details, but they're easy to find if you google.

Pity he's not a tiny bit bigger; I think my 13 stone would probably be too much ....

Linda

hiya, yes, tried NFED, no luck (well actually most of the phonecalls I have had came from there, but none suitable.) There was one family who would have been perfect, but they bought something slightly smaller in the end. I still need to try him on newforestpony.com but I want to get some decent photos of me riding him first. (persuading hubby to come with me with the video camera tomorrow!) I reckon he could do up to about 11 and a bit stone, but i wouldn't think much more than that. ideal mother and child pony really. it is just so frustrating trying to find the right home. i'm beginning to realise why people use dealers.

If he would be a friendly companion to my Exmoor mare, then he would be VERY welcome here. She is quite sensitive after being bullied by her half-sister for the past 6 years. Obviously I would need to leave him in the field by himself at times (although there are lots of horses at our neighbours), so I can't cope with a pony that spends all that time galloping around and threatening to break through the fences! We live in SW Pembrokeshire on a 400 acre farm. I do hacking, schooling, pleasure rides, local shows etc. Other people (lightweight adults/children) to help love him and keep him busy.

Email or PM me if you think we could be the right people.

Ali xx

If I lived closer I would be over in a flash, that's just the sort of pony we're looking for as a companion to our 15.1hh cob (who doesn't get on with bigger horses) and to have fun with hacking and possibly a few local shows.

project horses sounds like a good idea, you can have as much text as you want and up to 4 pictures, also not many people come on there looking for first ponies

Last edited:
Hi Lucy J,

Im an adult looking (well all but a few weeks!:) for a pony. Im 23, 5'5'' and between 9.5 & 10 stone - depending on whether its a good week! ;) :p
I was going to look for an Exmoor as im a member of the society, but love native ponies in general and would love to hear more about your boy.
I am looking to buy however, so don't know whether you would prefer a loan situation?
I have recently returned to riding after a 6 year break, but previously had my own horses/ponies having ridden since I was young, so am fairly experienced. However Im not the most confident of riders, im just looking for a pony to enjoy hacking, fun rides and maybe some local shows with - and to love and fuss of course! :D
I live on the Devon border near Axminster.

If you think I may be suitable please PM me :)

Lindsey

newrider.com