HELP!! Any ideas/advice

Lacetti

Jun 24, 2008
Essex
gratefully received......

My friend has just purchased a 3yo from Holland, we'll call him B - she now has him stabled at our yard - he is very quiet to handle, but she has one major problem with him... he just won't stay in his field!!!

He pops over the electric fencing and ends up in other peoples fields. I have advised her to buy the tall posts, which she has done, but when the girl in the field next door to him turns her horse out, B just struck out and pulled fencing down (and the electric WAS on).

It seems that B and the horse next door just don't get on.... so I suggested that she turns B out in the field further back where he won't be next to the other horse (she is going to try this tonight).

B doesn't really settle in the field, and it makes me wonder if he has ever been turned out with other horses before (he was bred on a cattle farm in Holland), as he is quiet protective over his field mate. B is also quiet lean and needs good grazing, field mate has to be kept on diet, so can't move up into the next field which is away from horse next door.......

So, does anyone have any ideas on how we can find a solution for this problem???

Try double fencing - make a second strip of fencing about 5 or 6 feet out so if he wanted to jump he has to clear a spread. Oh, and make sure you have lots of tape, not just a single strip at the top.

The only thing that worked for me and it sounds mean but was too lead pony upto fencing and get him to touch fencing with his nose obviously while the fencing is on, he has never got out since.

The only thing that worked for me and it sounds mean but was too lead pony upto fencing and get him to touch fencing with his nose obviously while the fencing is on, he has never got out since.

ditto, felt bad doing it, felt horrendous when he bolted down the field and wouldnt come near me for the rest of the day, but it did work, none of mine go near the fence now even if its off. pill use to walk straight through even when it was on, and ours was connected to the mains not a battery, he was like hudini, hed lift each foot over and duck under the top :rolleyes: and it just didnt seem to affect him.

newrider.com