HELP! livery in the north east!

katie1983

Feb 11, 2008
Newcastle
Hi there everyone,

This is my first post as I've just joined up...

I have just started riding again - had my own horse when i was younger but gave up while i was at uni :( . i have tried a couple of places and really enjoyed it at south causey. I hope to get my own horse later in the year (and hope i can afford it!). Does anyone have any suggestions of a good livery yard? South Causey do it at £25p/w + £2 turn out + £2 turn in + £1 muck out + hay + straw/shavings... Is this reasonable? I've never had a horse at livery before and have no idea really.

It also seems that there are hardly any horses for sale in this area compared with other areas (I shouldn't really be looking now but can't seem to stop myself!) - any ideas of where to look?

any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Katie

Hello Katie,
Welcome to New Rider:) There are lots of us from the North East on here - so always information available on services and yards (good and bad)! I can recommend the yard I am on at Chester-le-Street (so nearer to Newcastle than South Causey). Part livery is £280, but you get basically everything except hard feed for that (hay, straw, muck out, give them feed, feet picked, turn out and bring in). There is full livery too, but no DIY.

If you are in Newcastle though, wouldn't you want somewhere north of the water? If so, there are other members who know yards there.

The Yellow Paper (the Ad Trader), which comes out on a Wednesday is where local horses are advertised. If you have previously bought your own horse, you may not need this warning, but just in case - people lie when selling horses more than they do selling second hand cars, so let be careful out there :cool:

Hello Katie,
Welcome to New Rider:) There are lots of us from the North East on here - so always information available on services and yards (good and bad)! I can recommend the yard I am on at Chester-le-Street (so nearer to Newcastle than South Causey). Part livery is £280, but you get basically everything except hard feed for that (hay, straw, muck out, give them feed, feet picked, turn out and bring in). There is full livery too, but no DIY.

If you are in Newcastle though, wouldn't you want somewhere north of the water? If so, there are other members who know yards there.

The Yellow Paper (the Ad Trader), which comes out on a Wednesday is where local horses are advertised. If you have previously bought your own horse, you may not need this warning, but just in case - people lie when selling horses more than they do selling second hand cars, so let be careful out there :cool:

Thanks Stella! Quick response. So where in chester le street is your one? Is it just a livery yard or a school too? What is the difference between part and full?

Not too bothered about NOTR or SOTR to be honest - although stanley is prob furthest i would want to go. north would be best but for the right place i am happy (ish!) to travel.

Thanks about the info on ad trader too - never seen so will def check it out on wed.

Thanks again!

Most of the decent livery yards north of the river have waiting lists.

The Granary and Hack Hall Farm are BHS approved and are currently getting new stables installed. I know the Granary do part livery for £50.00 a week but I think Hack Hall is just DIY.

Part livery usually means they will look after your horse during the week including all the jobs, feeding, mucking out, turning out, brining in, rugs changed etc. but you will do everything at the weekend. Although a different arrangement can be made to suit individuals.

Full is the same as part livery but your horse is looked after 7 days a week. Both should include bedding / hay

The yard is Cocken at Plawsworth Chester-le-Street. Its on a large estate with 1200 acres of off road hacking (fields, woods, river, xc jumps). Its just a yard, not a riding school. I personally wouldn't have my horse on a riding school. The kids interferring with her and the difficulties getting in the arena would drive me nuts!

The only difference between part and full is that the owner supplies any hard feed on part, yet its £50 per month cheaper!

Let me know nearer to you having a new horse if you want to come over for a visit. Its a good yard. No bitching and a YM that actually cares about liveries being happy and who tries hert best to accomadate people's wishes. I've been on several yards and that isn't all that common! Alicat on here is also at Cocken and often recommeds it to people on NR :)

thanks for that again! the one in chester le street sounds great and seems more viable if NOTR ones have waiting lists. Does it have a school at all or is it all hacking etc?

i noticed on another thread that people meet up in the area? Does anyone have any more info on this?

Yes, there is a floodlit arena.

There are meet-ups now and again, but there isn't one planned at the moment.

Tell us more about yourself. What did you do with your last horse? What are you looking for next? Are you young and fearless or 'mature' and cautious? :D (I fall into the latter category)!

Excellent - I work until 5.30 at the earliest so need a night-time option too!

Well, I think I fall between the two categories! I am in my early twenties so relatively young I think! But certainly not fearless, although i do love to go fast!

I love to hack out and that's what my previous horse was for really. I have never entered any competitions or anything and never did the ponyclub thing.

A few of my friends had horses when I was younger and we were probably a bit irresponsible, cantering along the verges of roads etc but it was good fun - that's what I love about riding, going out with friends and having fun!

Katie

hi there, welcome to new rider. i am also based in the north east i am based in gateshead,

i found that when i moved back here from glasgow there was not many horses for sale in the area, well the type i was looking for. i came across mine by mistake he was at the riding school i was having lessons at and had just come up for sale, so i snapped him up :) someone tried to buy him off me whilst i was trialling him.

i know of quite a few horses for sale at the moment but really depends what type of horse/pony you are looking for.

I am NOTR, but have mine at home. There is a place at Whittonstall that does liveries. You would need a car I think. I know that there is a lot of off-road hacking. A friend of mine uses it when she goes on holiday sometimes. She speaks highly of the care her horses get.

I'm in the NE, but near Middlesbrough. On DIY Livery, I pay £18 a week for the stable, grazing & facilities (indoor school, 2 floodlit outdoors) £2 a week for straw and £10 a week for ad-lib hay. There's always someone who will do jobs for a few £ - I go away for two weekends of the year, and it costs me £6 a day to have everything done for my horse.

I found both my horses in the yellow Ad trader magazine, but online is a brilliant place to look. Be prepared to travel a little bit to find the right one for you, though!
Good luck! :D

Thanks for the ad trader tip - brilliant! Went on today and have arranged a viewing for a part-share which realistically is a great idea in the short term so i can work out if i can afford a horse (time and money) and get back into it without having the full committment! Looking forward to spending more time on the forum - seems like a great place for advice and general horsey chat!

Will store this info for the future too!

Thanks again everyone!

Hi, i kind of have found somewhere! I actually decided that I can't afford a horse of my own at the moment but have just agreed to a part share. He's kept in livery nr ponteland and the yard seems good although i was there in the dark! Going for a hack this weekend to decide for definite but he seems great. It means I can find out whether i can afford the time and wont have to pay full costs for the time being. Seems a good idea before making the full committment although a little bit sad i cant have my own for now!

thanks for all the advice - it was really helpful and will defnitely keep it for the future when I can afford to buy!

x

newrider.com