Help me

If Kia jogs a lot out a hack i just puch him into a trot and we will trot until he is happy to walk.

Do you turn around to head home??? If so try to find a route that meams your not just turning around as that tends to make horses jog home either that or divert yourself a few times whilst heading home then the horse gets to know that heading in that direction dosnt always means he's going straight home.

Nikki xxx

What I tend to do in this situation is relax, and twitch the reins a bit. If you shorten them up so you've got their head, it tends to make things worse. Perhaps try and keep his attention by doing other things, like working on an outline or perfecting something you've been doing in the school? :)

Welcome to my world of hacking :rolleyes: Doey could out-jog a marathon runner in training!

I posted a thread before I think in general about her jogging, or maybe in adults who ride ponies, anyways, the advice there was very good and has helped a LOT so try searching for the thread.

Best advice I had was don't just pull on the reins, mouth fights wont be won!Sit like a sack of potatoes, exactly how you were taught not to ride, and as soon as your horse goes back to walk (I count hoofbeats to ensure she is back at a 4 beat gait) lighten your seat. Also keep your reins just short enough to maintain control, but let your horse have his head at all times. Doey is much calmer when she is on a slightly longer rein, I just have to keep telling myself in my head that we are not going to tank off just because she has some leway! I have also tried her in a pelham, which was very helpful, however I dislike using it unless I need great brakes (going on the heath for example) so we just soldier on with the snaffle as IMO gadgets will only take you so far!

As for going out alone or with others, it really depends on the horse. Doey can be naughty in both situations, if she is at the back of a hack she is much much worse so we usually stick her in the middle. She is very good when someone walks out with me as opposed to riding, so maybe try this til your boy calms down a bit. Alone she can be a star (we have ridden on the buckle quite calmly before) but other times I wana scream at her! lol. It is all down the the horse, the weather conditions, what they had for breakfast...basically its a process of elimination!

Ditto Mr Kia & Me re heading home - we are lucky to have circular routes so she doesn't always clock when we are heading back. And if she does play up, well she clearly has too much energy so we go around again, just to teach her she can't get her own way ;)

Good luck, let us know how you get on!

newrider.com