Help my horse is lame and im panicking !!

Jun 9, 2019
Hey all

Looking for a bit of reassuring.
Last Saturday during my schooling lesson with my boy he picked something up in his front hoof went lame instantly stop immediately and found the problem. My instructor assured me it was nothing to be concerned about probably just bruised.

Wednesday my farrier was passing the yard had him come take a look. Horse is sound in walk and he believed he was only ever so slightly lame in trot. Advised a couple more days rest turned out as my farrier and vet agree my horse is a bit of a diva and over dramatic at the slightest inconvince.

Today had a more experience girl on the yard jump on yo see if she could feel for lameness while the majority of the yard watched and all agreed that he was still lame but hardly noticeable. My vet was on the yard as well doing vaccination and agreed he was slightly lame and give us a course of bute and told turn him out for another week and then reassess and look at sending him for xrays.

I'm full blown panicking as he's my baby and it taken ages to get to the point we're he's no longer dangerous to ride and is a pleasure with a bright future in dressage.

Please calm my nerves or any advice you can give

Thank you
Siva+hannah

I think you have to give it time. If the foot has been bruised it will take time for bruising to come out. I actually fell over nearly three weeks ago. It was instant bruising but the worst of the bruising took 10 days to show its spectacular colours. Although the colours on the skin have gone. I have been left with internal bruising on the bone complete with a large lump just below my knee cap. All I'm saying is if your horse went instantly lame you might not be able to see the internal bruising which could still be coming out.
I think giving some bute is best course of action in the first instance. Turnout is good as long as hes not charging round. Did your vet or farrier put and hoof testers on the sole to see if there was any reaction to pressure.

Reactions: Trewsers and Huggy
All I can say is the few times my forester bruised his sole, you would have thought someone had chopped his leg off. It took a good week or more to ease. It's probably pretty painful, if you think about it. For now, I think you've done all you can, and it's watch and wait. He'll probably be fine in a very short time. I understand your panic though - it's hard to watch a lame horse - it always looks so dramatic. Good luck.

Reactions: Trewsers
I think you have to give it time. If the foot has been bruised it will take time for bruising to come out. I actually fell over nearly three weeks ago. It was instant bruising but the worst of the bruising took 10 days to show its spectacular colours. Although the colours on the skin have gone. I have been left with internal bruising on the bone complete with a large lump just below my knee cap. All I'm saying is if your horse went instantly lame you might not be able to see the internal bruising which could still be coming out.
I think giving some bute is best course of action in the first instance. Turnout is good as long as hes not charging round. Did your vet or farrier put and hoof testers on the sole to see if there was any reaction to pressure.
Yes farrier tested him on Wednesday no reaction and the vet tested today no reaction.

Both believe he's beening a bit over dramatic but they believe he's a bit of a fairy to begin with. Think I'm just being over dramatic myself but just been a long road to get where we are today with small steps forward and big steps back.

All I can say is the few times my forester bruised his sole, you would have thought someone had chopped his leg off. It took a good week or more to ease. It's probably pretty painful, if you think about it. For now, I think you've done all you can, and it's watch and wait. He'll probably be fine in a very short time. I understand your panic though - it's hard to watch a lame horse - it always looks so dramatic. Good luck.
Thank you yes he very dramatic at the best of times could give Robert deniro a run for his money with his acting skills

Reactions: Huggy
Some bruises can make them very sore, if you would like to be 'doing something' then a soak with Epsom salts is good for bringing out bruising and alleviating aches and pains, but not doing that isn't going to stop it from healing slowly.

Reactions: Trewsers
newrider.com