Help! My mare might have been covered! Need advice on injection.

Fudge&Maisy

Sep 6, 2008
A colt from a nieghbouring field broke into our yard and fields last night and has mounted Fudge, according to a livery who saw it.:eek::eek::mad: How long can I wait to get the contraceptive injection? Am trying to get hold of colts owners first so they can pay!
Also how much roughly is it?

Oh dear I'm sorry to hear this! I have no idea how much or how long but I know of 2 people this has happened to in the past but no one saw - you're lucky someone did! Poor mare! How old was the colt, in both cases I know of (was the same colt - hopped a fence and 11 months later 5 filly foals!) he was only 11months!

If I remember you have to give it about a week to ten days after the event, it might be longer, ask the vet.

The owner of the offending colt that got to our mares paid our vets bill........on more than one occasion! :( IN the end instead of him fixing the fence we had to move our horses

i'm not sure how long you can wait, but i think its in the 100s? not sure. i heard frm word of mouth is cost 100+, but don't hold me to tht

i'm not sure how long you can wait, but i think its in the 100s? not sure. i heard frm word of mouth is cost 100+, but don't hold me to tht

Nah, costs the call out and about £20 maybe. It's a common enough drug, used widely in cattle too......which, if it cost over £100, it wouldn't be....and if the vet tries to charge you over 100 tell him where to get off!

In horses,i cant think it would be too much more than a call out +20/30quid ,like wally said
but i do know from experience ,that in dogs ,it costs £80 per injection (+ consultation fee) and they have, to have, two injections 3 days apart!!!:eek:

That happened to one of my mares years ago.
We got the vet out straight away for contraceptive injection plus antibiotics - in case the colt was carrying a disease or other.

The colt's owner (who also had 6 other horses at the time) was contacted, he had the colt put down :confused: :mad: and disappeared the day after with all the other horses :mad::mad:

newrider.com