HELP NEEDED

Jessica holly

Sep 30, 2015
New zealand
Hello everyone

I have recently purchased an ex trotter, who has not had any schooling since retiring from the track ten years ago, he is now 15 and I am wanting to improve his balance as well as keeping his three paces balanced and evenly. Charlie (my horse) , like I have stated has not had any schooling other than hacking, so I would like to also work on his top line and to help develop muscle.

Can anyone please give me any advice as to how to develop the top line, and to balance his

Correct schooling will improve both his balance and top line. The most difficult bit is likely to be teaching him to canter given his age and what he has been doing.

I use a tail bandage round their bottom to encourage them to work well from behind and side reins, I'd build his muscles up gradually then progress to the likes of Pessoa. Do you have a equine massage person in your area, my friends one she's fab and a massage sessions apx £40 but last 2 hours. Reason being they will not only give him a fantastic massage but will check his back is perfect and there are no tight muscles and obviously as they will be able to see him can give advice as into what to start with and progress to. Every time she comes to do one of mine I'm fascinated, the horse/pony normally falls asleep afterwards and IMO it's worth every penny. xx

I would get a good instructor to guide you. It is so hard to train a horse correctly. I have owned mine for 4 years and ridden for over 35 years, but now have a new instructor and feel like I know nothing at all. If you are not experienced, find someone in real life to help you.

First you need your get him to work from behind, so that he pushes himself forwards using his hindquarters instead of pulling himself forward and falling onto the forehand. Lots of transitions (walk, trot and halt to start with) will start to help. Because he's a trotter he'll need time to get his head round trotting without racing so if he starts to run take him down a pace,

Half halts will help. They will get his bum underneath him and lighten his forehand. A half halt is a bit like halting and then changing your mind before he actually does it. That should also get him listening to you, like the transition work will.

Use trotting poles - excellent for teaching them where their feet should be, and helps them balance themselves. Not necessarily in a straight line - you can put them in a fan shape and go in and out varying the size of the circle or put them out as a maze which would help both with balance and suppleness (is that a word?) Which in turn helps him to carry himself.

The most important thing to remember is that you need to get him to work from behind, not pull him in from the front. Good luck :}

It doesn't matter where the horse has come from the basics to get them working are the same. :)

newrider.com