Help - needing some advice!!

cesa

Dec 13, 2007
I have my first dressage competition on Saturday and I have a few questions. How am I supposed to attach my competition number to my jacket? I have no buttons at the back of my jacket and also no elastic/string. So just wondering how this works?

Also do I have to report to someone like the steward when I arrive to let them know I'm there or can I just turn up, warm up and be at the arena for my given time?

And is there usually a writer that has to see your number before you can ride your test?

And how many rosettes do they usually give out? Obviously first, second and third - but what about fourth, etc. Reason I'm asking is in my second class there's only 4 competing so wondering if I'm guaranteed a rosette.....;)

Thanks for reading. Hope you can help me settle my last minute nerves!!! :eek:

Hiya,

All the competitions I've ever done they give you a number with string/ribbon to tie around your waist.

You will need to report to the show secretary when you arrive, usually they give you a time before hand.. Have you had this? If not, I'd contact them!

They will call you when its your turn, but keep an eye on the time!

The placings for rosettes seem to vary from place to place, but up to 6th place seems common I'd say.

Good luck! Got my second ever test on Sunday!! x

Thanks so much for your reply. I've got my times already - I'm first on in the first class of the day - 10am. So I'm gonna be hanging round the arena for the last 5/10 mins to make sure I'm not late!! And the same applies for my second test - first on in the first class of the afternoon - 1pm. At least I get it over and done with quickly!!!

I have my first dressage competition on Saturday and I have a few questions. How am I supposed to attach my competition number to my jacket? I have no buttons at the back of my jacket and also no elastic/string. So just wondering how this works?

Also do I have to report to someone like the steward when I arrive to let them know I'm there or can I just turn up, warm up and be at the arena for my given time?

And is there usually a writer that has to see your number before you can ride your test?

And how many rosettes do they usually give out? Obviously first, second and third - but what about fourth, etc. Reason I'm asking is in my second class there's only 4 competing so wondering if I'm guaranteed a rosette.....;)

Thanks for reading. Hope you can help me settle my last minute nerves!!! :eek:

Everywhere is different, give yourself plenty of time when you arrive so that you know what to do and familiarise yourself with the layout/centre.

If its unaffiliated them they usually give you a number and string/wool to tie round you waist.
Dont worry about the writer, if you have your number on they will see it.

If there are only four of you in the class they can only give out a first, they dont have to give out anything other than this as there is less than 7 in the class.

Good luck and dont worry.

Well I did my tests and it all went very smoothly and just as I would have wanted it! The relief is great but I will definitely be doing it all again the next time the opportunity arises. For my dressage test I was in a class of 5 people and I came 4th with a percentage of 58% and for my riding test I was in a class of 3 people and I came 3rd with 62%. So although my placings were'nt brilliant I came home with 2 rosettes (everyone in the class got a rosette!) and two good scores - IMO. Plus Maple was an absolute star through it all - even though I was nervous she wasn't a bit bothered. She warmed up really well and if anything I think 20 mins was too long a warm-up cos by the time we did our test she was exhausted!!! I really thought she was fitter than that but clearly not.....:eek:

And all my worries about numbers and stewards and callers and whips were put to rest early on. Thanks for everyone who gave me advice and who wished me well. I'm so glad I did it and I know what I need to work on now to improve for next time!!

Photos my sister took of us:

P9120004.jpg

This one is of us cantering so is rather blurry but looks cool as it focused on me!!

P9120008.jpg

And there's a video to come soon - still trying to upload....:)

newrider.com