Dismiss Notice

Hi, we hope you enjoy looking around New Rider. We are a very friendly board so don't feel afraid to ask your questions. Register now, say 'Hello' and join in the conversations.

Help on working out these lumps

Discussion in 'Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies' started by OwnedbyChanter, May 10, 2018.

1. OwnedbyChanter

OwnedbyChanter With out my boys life would be bland

this is not my pony but you lot have such a huge knowledge base that I thought it is worth asking.

My friends pony came up in some lumps last year after numerous blood tests and finally steroid they went and with management didn’t come back. He is now award on a certain drug can’t remember the name but will find out.

However first hot period and back they have come.

The horse is never with out some sort of rug fly or otherwise is very well cared food correct food management etc.

She is getting the vet out again but wants to know the reason it happens so she can prevent it not just treat them when it happens

Any suggestions welcome

Attached Files:

2. Trewsers

Trewsers Well-Known Member

Golly, they look like huge bites of some kind. I honestly don't know. Specially odd if they have a fly rug on or spray. Mind you Storm often gets bitten under her fly rug. Only takes one to sneak under and wreak havoc:(

3. carthorse

carthorse Well-Known Member

Have they done allergy tests? To me that looks like an allergic reaction, but what to is anyone's guess because it could be an insect, a plant, a pollen or something else. Does she move to a different field in spring? Does it make any difference if she's in during the day & out at night? It sounds silly but does she change from a sheepskin numnah to a cotton one which might not absorb sweat as well? All random ideas so may all be utter garbage, but sometimes it's a stupid inconsequential thing that causes a ridiculous reaction.

Kite_Rider and OwnedbyChanter like this.
  4. Advert Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  5. OwnedbyChanter

Bites was the first thought but there are no entry marks.

He is in a premier equine fly rug so a good quality one

6. Jessey

Jessey Well-Known Member

It looks like a contact allergy to me, like when you brush on something and you get a severe blister reaction. What do they feel like? does it always happen in the same place?

7. Mary Poppins

Mary Poppins Well-Known Member

My friends horse comes up with lumps like this which are very itchy. It turned out to be an allergy to something in his food. He now has very fancy, expensive food which has helped to a degree but he still itches.

I notice that they are around the saddle area. Does he get them elsewhere?

8. OwnedbyChanter

Yes he gets them on his belly too pretty much the same place.

We did think the first time that he was rolling in something in his field. He didn’t get them all winter and literally this week I will ask her when she turned to fly rugs

Jessey likes this.
  9. OwnedbyChanter

All relevant guys as always and also got me thinking. I have asked her when did she change from a normal rug to a fly rug and when did he start to go out in his normal field.

I think you are on to something oh yes he was tested but they couldn’t narrow down what it was to.

I think it is something in his field that he rolls in and only showing up now as the normal rugs give better protection

Jessey likes this.
  10. Bodshi

Bodshi Well-Known Member

They look like hives. Jack had them one year and the vet said he may or may not get them again and we'd probably never know what caused them. She said it was due to an allergy, but could have been contact, inhaled or ingested. Her guess was tree pollen, based on the time of year (early Spring) but he hasn't had them since and we're none the wiser. They did get pretty bad in Jack's case and he ended up with fluid collection under his belly and round his sheath and then his hair pulled out in clumps where his skin had been affected.

OwnedbyChanter likes this.
  11. Ale

Ale Well-Known Member

How strange that they are in the exact same location both sides and also they follow a similar pattern. Are they saddle related that would be my first thought?

Buttercups have just started to flower here, although unlikely to of affected them through a fly rug.

Hope the vet can shed more light

12. Jessey

Jessey Well-Known Member

Pollen could easily get through a fly rug, It could just be something that flowers this time of year. If the vet agrees I would do an antihistamine trial (if they haven't already) and see if that brings them down.

13. Kite_Rider

Kite_Rider Cantering cabbage!

Agree it looks like an allergy of some sort, this is exactly what happened to Belle a few years ago, turned out she is allergic to carrots of all thing!
    Only had it once since then, when a child visiting the yard thought it would be nice to feed the ‘pretty’ Horse carrots as a treat!
    Hope they can find out what it is although they may never get to the bottom of it.

14. newforest

newforest She's not fat, she's too short :-)

Urticaria.
    My lad had it. Spring and summer only. Winter you are either covering with rugs or leaving hairy so you don't necessarily see it.
    Think we tried piriton for him and some sort of immune system thing.

I had him allergy tested. He was allergy to certain types of
    -mould spores,
    Grass
    Hay
    Straw.
    I asked the vet if I should take him home or would he be allergic to the carpet!!!

15. OwnedbyChanter

Now I thought hives but the lumps in the photo are all he has they are not all over his body but those and a few more on his belly.

16. newforest

newforest She's not fat, she's too short :-)

PicsArt_05-11-04.27.10.jpg This is J. You can see two pea size lumps and some fuzzy smaller ones nearby. He would get these on his neck, shoulder. Under the belly would swell up more, especially his man bits and on occasion be full of fluid.
    We moved yards and he took his bumps with him. But we were on the same type of soil so same type of grazing.

17. Lemme

Lemme Well-Known Member

suggests Allergy to me, Charlie gets these and Gem has had a few this time as well, both welshies, rest are fine, no change in diet other than richer grass - suspect protein increase not helping due to growth spurts for Charlie, Charlie is restricted grazing and gets a small amount of hay each day with regulated grass access which seems to have sorted it- he does have pollen allergy which we supplement him for - Gem only a few so we treated for insect bites and that sorted her - although she has an immediate reaction to the gel pad we got for her so that now goes between saddle pad and Saddle and not direct to skin, not happened again, same pad on Charlie no reaction. sensitive souls the pair of them.

The FREE site for selling smallholdings, farms and rural properties