Help please

OwnedbyChanter

With out my boys life would be bland
Apr 16, 2009
Raininghamshire
Ladies I know one of you had one of these or talked about it but I can’t remember for the life of me who had one.

Edward is doing amazingly love every bone of him but he is young and training is hard work. He is a planter so I know how to deal with this I ride with a lead rope in my hand and when he planted I encourage him by touching his neck on each side quickly with the end of the lead rope.

this works and he walks straight on but carrying a lead rope around is not ideal .

Now someone on here mentioned years ago about a shirt rope that you can carry when teaching youngster to go forward please can anyone remember what there are called so I can buy one

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
Or giddy up rope?

Reactions: Huggy

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
You can make your own from an old lead rope. Cut off the clip and make into a handle to hold- never ever put your hand through it.
Cut off the excess and your done.
I used it with my previous lad to good effect by flicking myself with it. Current lass prefers a flick from the schooling whip.

Reactions: carthorse

OwnedbyChanter

Apr 16, 2009
Raininghamshire
You can make your own from an old lead rope. Cut off the clip and make into a handle to hold- never ever put your hand through it.
Cut off the excess and your done.
I used it with my previous lad to good effect by flicking myself with it. Current lass prefers a flick from the schooling whip.

That is what I going to do today. I don’t have any old ones so going to by a cheap on and cut it up.

i want to avoid a whip as much was possible. As when I start schooling properly I may need it to refine my aid and I don’t want him thinking a touch with the whip means forward

Huggy

Nov 11, 2018
I read this thread, and googled wip wop etc. So much Seems to indicate that it might be a good thing for lazy boy Hogan. So, ratched around my stuff, and found a long rein that I've never used. Half an hour later, I proudly present my..... wip wop! Screenshot_20200125-150403_Gallery.jpg

OwnedbyChanter

Apr 16, 2009
Raininghamshire
I read this thread, and googled wip wop etc. So much Seems to indicate that it might be a good thing for lazy boy Hogan. So, ratched around my stuff, and found a long rein that I've never used. Half an hour later, I proudly present my..... wip wop! View attachment 101303
Wow super impressed I forgot to get one today so will dig around the shed to see what I have laying around

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
I cant wait to try it. The best thing is, if it doesn't have any effect, it didn't cost anything!
And you can use to swish flies in the summer if it has no response from the horse.
I carry a swish thing that she knows is just for flies and getting tangled in the hedges.

Huggy

Nov 11, 2018
And you can use to swish flies in the summer if it has no response from the horse.
I carry a swish thing that she knows is just for flies and getting tangled in the hedges.
Oh dammit! I can't even stop my whip catching in the bushes - I'll be hopeless with this!

Huggy

Nov 11, 2018
I'll have to shorten it - sat on him in the yard bareback, and I'd be wip wopping his knees if I used it this length! It'd be fine if I was 5'10 and he was 16hh.

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
It's now known as the giddyup rope.
It doesn't say how long it is, but long enough to be able to touch them with.

Huggy

Nov 11, 2018
Well I tried it today, but needed my whip too, bit thrown by having 2 hands filled! It was still too long, so I doubled it over, I think it had an effect, but I need to hone my skill with it!

Toz

Jul 14, 2019
I used my reins like that. Barney when ridden used to be a bit nappy, in a very polite “I will go but am backing off at the same time” kind of way. He got pretty hardened to legs and whips and I hated constant nagging a little flick back and for with the end of my reins worked a treat so hopefully a wip wop will work out well for you.

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Well I tried it today, but needed my whip too, bit thrown by having 2 hands filled! It was still too long, so I doubled it over, I think it had an effect, but I need to hone my skill with it!
It all depends on the horse as well. I was about to write mine is voice activated, but realise that sounds, just weird. :p
We lunged and did trot to halt to trot. She can she's not stupid, she's just deaf at times.