Help - Self Drive Horseboxes In Kent

Mousemagic

Aug 18, 2004
Berkshire
Visit site
Does anyone know of a Self Drive Firm based in Kent that will hire our boxes for self drive.

the only company that I knew of was Invicta - but they ceased hiring out boxes - because they couldn't make it pay.

any ideas.

Little Miss

Thanks for this - I will check it out. Invicta sounded good - but when I spoke to the guy - he said that he just didn't have the demand. But I bet there are loads of boxes sitting in yards or driveways every week - doing nothing and costing a fortune !

I believe that the insurance costs etc dont really make it viable to be honest.

I know that that man did used to have one smaller box that he rented out, but some idots broke into the yard and vandalised the boxes !!WHY??

You might find it easier to find a few other peeps locally that want to do the same shows as you and hire a lorry with a driver Amerus also does those! depending on how far you want to go etc depends on the price - but might be worth a look

When you find your hire company, learn from my bitter experience! I hired a small lorry from a company (who I now hear are no longer hiring). Had a long conversation about not needing living, wanting my two to travel side by side as they were used to and with a low ramp, wanting a "ladies box" because I haven't driven lorries much. Was told yes, you can have the small box (I knew this was a little blue one that my friend had used before). I also checked that I could hire for an extra day before, to practise loading and driving. Agreed a price for a week's hire - so it wasn't cheap!
Came to sorting out my practise day, and it wasn't possible because the lorry was being repaired. OK, just have to do it for live on the day I needed to travel. Arrived on the morning and was told cheerily that I had been "upgraded" - the little blue lorry hadn't been repaired. Upgraded to a 3 horse lorry with living. I said "I can't drive that!", but he insisted it would be fine and like a fool I went ahead with it - talk about being put on the spot - what else would I do with no notice? But it was so big - not if you're experienced - but this was my first time driving anything like this!
It was a nightmare, the ponies travelled badly, I was a wreck driving it, when we got to our destination we needed a hammer to get the metal pins up on the ramp and the partitions. The ramp was so heavy that 3 women struggled to lift it. The toilet didn't flush, the water from the tank stank like rotten eggs.
The hire man was no help beyond offering to drive it back for me, and saying "horses travel in whatever you put them in". Well, I don't think that's fair on them.
The lorry went back empty. In spite of complaints he took the money out of my account. And of course, I don't have a leg to stand on, because how can I prove what I'd hired?
Can you tell I'm still seething?? So, when you find the elusive hire company, get something in writing to confirm what is booked.
(Personally, I'm glad they've stopped trading. But I now discover that their business had some troubles - is that what goes around comes around?).

Crystal

You really did have a nightmare experience and I really feel for you. I agree - it can be really daunting to drive a box - even a "Ladies one" - additionally, you have the stress of perhaps going to a new venue, pre-nerves competing and whether the horses will load or not. Sounds as though it was a good thing that they went out of business.

My friend and I used to hire a small box from a local firm in Bucks and although tatty on the outside - it drove well and the horses (both 17 handers) arrived happily.

Looks like I've exhausted the self drive options anyway - seems that no one does it now in Kent. Even Amerus that Missy recommended - only seem to hire out lorries with drivers - which can make for a v. expensive day.

Now going to see if my lad will load in a friends trailer - which supposedly will take max of 17.2. But now have the worry of him not wanting to go in the trailer - when usually he will load brilliantly into a lorry.

Hi there Arabmare

This would be good. Where are you in Ashford ?? Although my locations says Berkshire - I need to change it. I now live in nr Great Chart and keep my lad in Bethersden.

There used to be 3 places in Kent - Invicta, Equitravel (Wateringbury nr Maidstone) and Amerequus in Bexley. All of them no longer hire for self drive

Sophini

thanks for this - yep - you are right when I spoke to the chat from Invicta yesterday - he confirmed that there were no self drive firms now operating in Kent.

Me too - better get on with some work - to pay for the things that I love e.g. neddies

Reactions: KaraH
newrider.com