Help with Body protector

Heather1979

Dec 31, 2014
Hi, move just joined this forum so hi to everyone . I've just started riding again after a 2 year break and have decided to wear a body protector . I'm also looking at getting a new jacket to wear whilst riding. Should the jacket go over the body protector or can it go under it?

Hello:)
I love my rodney powell bp - they should go under your jacket and as close to you as poss. I wear mine over a polo shirt in summer or thin base layer in winter. I have been known to wear it over a medium weight hoodie but its a tight fit!

Hiya and welcome. I have a Racesafe which saved my life a couple of years ago.

I've just ordered the airowear outlyne it didn't feel too chunky and quality looked good . Would you suggest ordering a coat 1 size up then ?

I used to wear an airowear outlyne. I never wore a jacket with it, more bulk than I could handle. I just invested in a thin baselayer tshirt, a thermal long sleeve top and then a fleece jumper and then my body protector. Always toastie as the body warmer ended up acting as an extra layer....once it heated up! My only advice is put your bp somewhere warm during the winter - especially before you're about to put it on. It's like cardboard if you leave it cold in a car or tack room. I used to fill a hot water bottle and put it in the bp so while it sat in my car while I tacked up, it wouldn't stiffen up.

I always wear a body protector and never wear a coat. The body protector keeps me nice and warm and I don't like the feel of a coat over the top - as others have said it's far too bulky. When it is cold I wear a couple of thin thermal layers underneth the BP and am always warm - normally I just ride in a T Shirt for most of the year.

I have an airowear, but the Rodney Powell and the Racesafe are good as well. It all depends on your body shape. x

I to always wear a bp. Unlike Mary Poppins I wear a jacket over my bp, except in summer weather. I have a blouson Musto snug, a heavy duty Musto winter rain proof coat with a fleece I wear under it and in summer a very light Berghaus waterproof. All fit easily over a bp. My OH has both a fleece riding jacket and a waterproof worn over his bp.
The jacket that doesnt go over a bp is any sort of fitted jacket that is close fitting at shoulders or waist. These are usually worn at competitions or to hunt. But none of our normal riding jackets we wear for hacking or lessons is a problem.

Hi and welcome. Mines a USG flexible one. I'd never ridden in one up until around 2 yrs ago. Everyone else on my yard did and I was kinda badgered into it. [emoji35] I'm so glad that they did !!
I got one that's made of little squares joined together instead of the large pieces if you know what I mean? ? I don't like to feel closed in but once its warmed up I forget it's on. I've had 2 falls in it, so glad I had it on. My advice is make sure you have it fitted properly, nothing is of any use if it doesn't fit you [emoji5]

Reactions: OwnedbyChanter
Hi and welcome. Mines a USG flexible one. I'd never ridden in one up until around 2 yrs ago. Everyone else on my yard did and I was kinda badgered into it. [emoji35] I'm so glad that they did !!
I got one that's made of little squares joined together instead of the large pieces if you know what I mean? ? I don't like to feel closed in but once its warmed up I forget it's on. I've had 2 falls in it, so glad I had it on. My advice is make sure you have it fitted properly, nothing is of any use if it doesn't fit you [emoji5]
Forgot to add,wear what you want under or over so long as you're comfortable.

I hate the things with a passion, I tried on loads and loads at BETA one year and all except the hit air one induced a near panic attack in the effort to get them off again. The Hit Air, I have worn on two occasions when my risk assessment of the situation made it a reasonable option. Otherwise I have never found one I feel does not hinder me.

Interestingly, I did wear one of the early BP when X countrying, and I came off and broke my coccyx. I have little faith in them .

Think I will go with t-shirt, long sleeve top and fleece then bp that should do it . I'm having it fitted properly by the equestrian shop I go to they are very knowledgeable their and feel happy with them. Thank you to everyone who has replied .

Reactions: Flipo's Mum
I hate the things with a passion, I tried on loads and loads at BETA one year and all except the hit air one induced a near panic attack in the effort to get them off again. The Hit Air, I have worn on two occasions when my risk assessment of the situation made it a reasonable option. Otherwise I have never found one I feel does not hinder me.

Interestingly, I did wear one of the early BP when X countrying, and I came off and broke my coccyx. I have little faith in them .

I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I've had a bp for ages, but hardly ever wear it these days....it's stiff, doesn't feel like it fits me very well ( it feels too short and def too wide) and I just don't feel I can move freely in the saddle, so it sits in the cupboard 99% of the time!

Reactions: Wally
I wear my for XC. SJ and hacking Ginger pony even 2 years on I wear it hacking. My concern is not him it is the cars.

If it is fitted to you and well once you have it on you forget it is there. I have been seen after a hack mucking out in mine as I forget its was on.

I do not think they get in the way or restrict movement we have scored the same in a dressage test with me wearing one as with me not wearing one.

I wore a racesafe had a bad accident, and as it turned out the Rasesafe caused the trauma and put me in hospital. Nothing broken but eternal bleeding from the impact of the Racesafe on my lower abs. I have not worn one since.

Reactions: Wally
I wore a racesafe had a bad accident, and as it turned out the Rasesafe caused the trauma and put me in hospital. Nothing broken but eternal bleeding from the impact of the Racesafe on my lower abs. I have not worn one since.
studies with Rugby players have found similar results.

Reactions: pony lover 500
I'm definitely going to wear one because most people I've spoken to have said good things about them.
I've ordered myself a regatta fleece top in the sale so hoping with a few layers I should be warm enough. My legs are going to be killing me next I will be walking like I've messed myself lol !

Reactions: Flipo's Mum
newrider.com