HELP with electric fencing advice.. please

Cazie

Feb 18, 2008
south
I have to buy some electric fencing and have no idea how to connect it up, what I'll need and if it has to be a round circuit or if I can do a straight line..

I am moving to a huge field and will have to strip graze...

Thank You :)

I use lots of electric fencing and i hate it with a passion :mad: i always end up getting tangled up and wrapped around the poles and end up having a tantrum with some plastic poles which i am sure is most emusing for the YO! :p

it depends if you are planning on hooking it up to mains electric or running it off a sytem like from a car battery - mine is run off of a car battery due to NO electricity at our yard. Ovb mains will give a bigger shock but my pony is an escape artist and has had one shock off my fence with the car battery that i know of and hasnt escaped since.

I use plastic fence posts as i also strip graze and i have two runs of elecy tape one at the top n the other half way down to try and discourage dee from crawling under the fence (she has done that before-caught her red handed)

i know a fair bit about electric fencing (as i am a bit of a saddo!) atm it seems to be the vein of my life!!!!:eek::eek: so yh if you have any more questions feel free to PM me or post on here or what ever! :)
Good luck with moving fields

ohh elec fencing!!! bain of my life! we use car batterys on an energierser that we got from scats and it has a good kick to it i know ive been electrified as well.ines an escape artist (well was) but he respects it now, but cant ever wear a rug cos he knows he can go thru it without it hurting him. he used to go underneath it but i put some tape in his mane so he got zapped !

I guess I'll have to use a battery.. but have no idea what an energiser is? or what else I'll need.. how many posts or how many metres or if I'll need to connect one end back up with the other end.. I want to do a straight line..

Thanks for the advice so far guys, but still have no idea what I need. and what connects to what...

I will probably need number by number instructions LOL...

Ditto the others, electric fencing booo!
Each spring/summer our pony (also an escape artist) has to live in a pen to restrict his grazing. I have had a lot of success with a solar charger, (so no need for batteries) and extra tall fence posts with 3 strands of wire. I bought it all as a single kit but I can't remember where from, somewhere on the interwebz :eek:. I think the charger, the earth rod, the extra tall posts and the extra wide wire were around £160.00. So far, escapes have been minimal and it is soooo great not to have to lug car batteries back and forth.

There are also solar energisers you can buy that charge the car battery I think.

Haha.. Skint, you make it sound so easy.. you are also only up the road in Swindon.. you could come and set it up for me LOL... I'm so struggling to understand all these different things.. A kit sounds good...

Electric fencing is the bane of my life.

Don't know how to post a link but if you goggle Rutland electric fencing they have loads of useful info.

basically if your not running it off mains electric you need one of these
http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/pl3_FENCING_ELEC-FENCE_BATT-ENER.htm
and then if you get one of those you need a car battery of some description to make it all electric

then you have to buy the actual electric fencing tape and the electric posts to go with it. How many meters you will need will depend on how big your field is and if you intend on double banding the area. I have 100Ms of electric tape which is more than enough for me and my one pony!

I put a pole supporting the fence thing about every 5Ms or so. So i guess it depends on how big u decide u need the fencing to be.

Haha.. Skint, you make it sound so easy.. you are also only up the road in Swindon.. you could come and set it up for me LOL... I'm so struggling to understand all these different things.. A kit sounds good...

LOL oh no I didn't mean to imply I had skills in that direction! I usually turn the air of Swindon blue during the process!! But seriously if you're stuck my daughter and I could always swing by and add to your stress :D

Kits are good if you're starting from scratch because they include all that you need even things you wouldn't think of to begin with, and they usually include instructions about how far to push in the earth rod, and distances etc.

http://www.countrystoredirect.com/acatalog/Solar_Powered_Kits.html

this is a link to the company I used (found my confirmation email) I bought the one with the 140cm posts

Photo0070.jpg

Photo0059.jpg

and an example of the fence. If I remember I will get a pic of the charger set up tomorrow.

Thank You so much Skint... I have had a look, sent the link to my husband, and asked him to do the rest!! Ummm, I wonder if that will actually work Haha.. Love the ponio in the pic.. can he/she come live within my fence :)

Dont panic, I was exactly the same as you, needed it and it scared me.
I found the 3ft poles better than the 4ft poles.
I used tape rather than rope{heard that rope dosnt give if something gets tangled up in it}
You can get an energiser that runs on d cell batteries but i used it and its not very good, PLUS you must make sure you take them if u want to connect to a car battery.
I bought my car battery from breakers yard{they have hundreds and all tested}
The energised is pushed into the ground which acts as the earth stake too, then has a wire which attaches to the tape, if you make sure you use 1 constant line of tape then all of them will be live{I made this mistake and peach found the one that wasnt live and went through it!}
DONT forget to get something to act as a gate or you end up untying it all the time, i used a couple of the spring gate handles.

Hope that helps

ps i heard they do the posts in prety colours now too!:)

im having the same problem at the moment but on ebay they do electric fencing starter kits which give u everything u need apart from the battery!!

newrider.com