Help with encouraging him to work forward into the contact.

G

Gemma16

Hi everyone, I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on how to help taffy to work forward into the contact. He has this habbit of dropping behind the bit or rather than rushing forward he bounces on the spot.

He will work really well and correctly if he is in the right mood, but if the weather isn't perfect or hes a bit hyper he gets excited and drops behind the bit.

I school him generally in a french link full cheek snaffle which he seems happy in, I also use a jointed pelham (because i use it for showing).

Any advice would be great.

Cheers

Kat's been dropping behind the bit occasionally recently. I've been having luck with raising my hands, to bring her poll up. Once her poll is the highest point again she's usually back in a good position for contact (and she's beginning to figure out that I want her to tuck her chin some, but not too much).

After she gets her nose back in front of the vertical, I can push forward a bit and get contact the way it ought to be. A lot of the time I can then move my hands back where they ought to be; sometimes I need to support her a little while longer while she figures out what she's doing.

This works well with Kat, because her neck is so high-set that her head is carried fairly high, even when she drops her head and relaxes her jaw. I'm not sure how it would work on a horse whose head is carried lower. Let me know, though. It's been interesting to work this out for her, and it would be nice to know how it works on other horses :)

Thanks galadriel, I will try it next time I school him. He too carries his head and neck high up so maybe it will work.

Its a task in itself getting him settled at the minute he has the winter excitement thing going on with some new found energy so trying to get him to trot with out bouncing is quite a chore:D

not going forward.

hello gemma , if your horse has been riding with head high and his back hollow ,this may be a sign he is uncomfortable ,saddle,bit,teeth, muscles, im not suggesting this is the problem but if he has been schooling nicely and is now showing unhappy he may be trying to tell you something is not right.
but if all is well can i suggest some schooling long and low ,which will encourage him to seek the contact and lengthen his top line ,
but also to contract his abdominal muscles and lift his back ,and by doing this he can come through from behind and balance him self .
i could be wrong but it sounds like he is backing away from your contact and curling up in front (is he happy in the link) and with respect could you be riding on your hands with out realising it .
ponies that bounce may do so because they are worried about going forward and seeking the contact ,but also do so for many other reasons ,pain ,discomfort in there back,neck ,mouth ,pelvice.
i noticed you said (rushing forward) your tranitions should be flowing and balanced with rider balance and softness.
may i suggest you have alook at your saddle or have a pro saddler look at it also check to see if your horse is sore around the mouth ,poll back,loins,sacro.neck.withers,legs,by applying gentle pressure to these ereas he will let you know.
in my book horses do not tell lies they enjoy pleasing you .
some times horses can miss aline ereas from the poll through to the dock very easily .
i hope you are not affended by my reply, best wishes welshcoblady1.

Hi welshcoblady (taffy is a welsh cob:D )

I am having a saddler come up and fit a new saddle for him in the next couple of months hopefully next month all going well, so I will know if its that. I don't think it is though but best to get it checked out hey.

He doesn't rush into his transitions if you notice i say rather than rushing he bounces, when he schools well hes got lovely transitions, very steady and balanced.

He seems to be giddy thats whats making it hard.

He doesn't have a hollow back just a high head, hes got a pretty good topline and plenty of muscle, he just has a high head carriage like a lot of heated section d's. If you know what I mean.

Thanks very much for the advice you have pointed out a lot of things to look out for. The vets coming on tuesday too, so I can get him to have a general check over too.

I have attatched a pic of Taffy to show you what he looks like when being schooled. Thanks again:D

Attachments

• taffy mottram trot nice.jpg
    taffy mottram trot nice.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 78
HI JEMMA .

WHAT A BEAUTY HE IS ,YOU SHOULD BE PROUD . I AM MY SELF AND HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR A NOTHER SEC D FOR RIDDEN SHOWING ,BUT I HAVE BEEN LOOKING TO LONG AND NEED TO GIVE IT A REST NOW .
I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN WHEN YOU SAY HIGH HEAD CARRIAGE WITH THE WELSH I HAD TO SCHOOL MY C TO DROP HIS HEAD AND GO FORWARD BUT HE WAS DRIVEN FOR A LONG TIME .
I WILL SEND SOME PICS NEXT TIME FOR YOU TO SEE TO.
YOUR COB IS A NICE SORT WHATS HIS BREED LINES .
MY C IS PARVADEAN ALL THE WAY THROUGH AND HE IS JET BLACK WITH A ATTITUDE ( LATE CUT COLT ) BUT I LOVE HIM ,WE GET ON WELL .
I HOPE YOU FIND YOUR PONY GOING WELL AND IF I CAN HELP ANY TIME PLEASE LET ME KNOW .NICE TO MEET YOU CHAT AGAIN SOON .BEST WISHES ,WELSHCOBLADY1.

JEMMA.

JEMMA I NOTICE THAT YOU RIDE RATHER LONG IN YOUR GP SADDLE ( HOPE YOU DONT MIND ME SAYING ) DO YOU NOT FIND THIS TIPS YOU ON THE FRONT OF YOUR PELVICE .
DO YOU SCHOOL THIS LONG AT HOME .MAY BE YOU DO DRESSAGE
ANY WAY HOPE I HAVE NOT AFFENDED YOU I KNOW I KEEP SAYING THAT BUT IT WAS JUST AN OBSERVATION .
BEST WISHES WELSHCOBLADY1.

Hi, Yes I know my stirrups were to long that day I don't usually ride quite that long.

Thanks for the lovely compliments. He too was cut late. He is 9 now and was cut a 7. He can be a right bugger at times.

Hi breeding goes to nebo Daniel thats his grandsire.

I would love to see your boy too. E-mail me or post them on this board I'm sure everyone would love to see them.:D

newrider.com