Help with jumping position -

Voy_Por

Ustedes
Jun 5, 2008
Nottingham
Hi guys - trying to do some more jumping and it is a while since i have done jumping and i am doing it with a new horse.

I have always tried to keep my weight in my heels - with my backside pushed back so to speak - then taking a more forward position in my seat and feet slightly turned out.

Does that sound about right?

How tight should the reins be when i jump? should i give a bit more rein or a bit less so that the reins are tight?

Thanks all.

The position you describe sounds fine, make sure you shorten your stirrups up plenty so you don't end up with your weight in your toes & your legs swinging back.

Your hands should have a pretty much 'normal' contact coming into the jump, don't fiddle and interfere, but equally don't drop the contact because you'll drop the horse onto it's forehand and risk a run out/stop/unbalanced jump. Over the fence the horse will need to stretch its head & neck. You should either follow the movement with your hands by giving with them towards the horse's mouth so there is a straight line from the horse's mouth, through your hand to your elbow, or do what's called a 'crest release' where you push your hands up the back of the horse's neck so the reins go slack & the horse can stretch. I do the following the movement thing (some people call this 'natural release') because I find it easier, but some people prefer the crest release :)

newrider.com