Help with riding

Clare2018

Nov 30, 2018
Hi was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice,
I have been loaning a horse for the past 5 weeks everytime I ride him he's brilliant for the first 15-20mins but once I have cantered him he becomes really strong and does this really fast trot or trys to go back in to canter , I don't really want to change his bit was just wondering if anyone had any tips or anything I could use whilst riding.
Thanks

I would do lots of transitions. If you can when he starts to go back into trot without you asking I would ask for a walk. Or even ask the horse to stop and just stand. You might have to stand for a minute or two. You might get resistance to this ie horse fidgets so it might take longer to get calm to start with. Once the horse is calm ask him to walk on. If he immediately tries to trot ask for walk with half halts. If the horse doesn't listen then stop again and wait.

Once the horse gets the message that you are in charge then they will start to listen more to you.
As you haven't been riding the horse long, it maybe the horse is testing you. So the quicker you can nip the behaviour in the bud and show you are in charge and will not accept sillyness. Hopefully he will learn.
Basically i would try to get him out of the hyper state by getting him calm before you go on.

newrider.com