help with smelly sheath

tbaynancy

Jul 27, 2009
Ugh, out to see Rusty today after work and he was very smelly. I've had him for a year and a half and never experienced this. YO took his temp, and gloved up and felt around - said everything seemed normal. I cleaned him up - he wasn't dirty inside, but had dribbled down his legs (sorry for the graphic description - please forgive me). YO said the mares are coming in season and that may account for it.

Is this normal? Am I just a numpty owner? Should I get the vet out?

Bumping this in the hope that someone might know something. You know my issues around this Tbay and I'm afraid I don't have any answers, sorry! I just wondered if it was any better yet?
I've done extensive googling on the subject and have heard many different suggestions as to what causes it - I've come across loads of posts of people similar to yourself suddenly finding it smelling fowl down there and not knowing what to do. Some vets take swabs, decide there's some sort of infection and prescribe antibiotics. In a few cases I've read about, that hasn't worked but don't know if its worked on others cause they never flamin well post back to say so! (these are random forums I find via google btw! I've seriously trawled for hours upon hours!) You know I've tried several different home remedies based on three vets telling me its just 'he's a dirty boy'. Does Rusty seem to have any discomfort through this? Flip is seriously itchy and I've left it well alone this winter hoping it might help - its pretty rank right now so I'm due the vet in a couple of weeks for his injections and I will be cornering the guy to take swabs or touch the damn thing. Previously they have refused to go near it. :stomp:

. Previously they have refused to go near it. :stomp:

Why is that FM?? My vet prefers to leave well alone generally (he's not a great believer in constantly cleaning the sheath,say's it upsets the natural balance and can create problems and they generally manage without interevention anyway),BUT have to say when I mentioned to him last time he was out for jabs that I thought it was a little bit swollen (and really was only a tiny bit,hardly noticable),he was quite happy to get the iodine and gloves out and give it a good clean up and check for anything amiss.

Did find a tiny cut on the inside,but no infection and his bits got a thorough cleaning at least lol
If I'm being honest part of the reason I even mentioned the swelling was to have an excuse to have vet clean it,as it makes me gag when I attempt it:help:

It is perfectly normal for it to smell and be gunky BTW,and often goes down the back legs,usually from lying down I find.If it's really stinking and looks more like pus than smegma then it's possible there is infection there,but you should notice discomfort and swelling as well I would have thought if this was the case??
If it's just smelly and mucky but not causing any issues I would leave well alone TBH.
If it is causing issues later on in the year with flies or smelling more due to heat etc,then perhaps give it a wash out.
I use KY jelly as a quick fix as is water based and PH balanced,so won't do any harm,and sometimes is enough just to get the worst out.

A quick fix and just getting the worst out is all I can stomach personally before it makes me urge:redface:
If you are braver than me however,get some gloves and warm water and suitable cleaning fluid and go for your life lol

I often wonder why on earth I went back to gelding,mares were so much easier!!

Hope you both work it out,and that your boy's bits are a bit more fragrant soon:wink:

He doesn't seem to have any discomfort and it was much better the next day - still a bit of a smell, though (which he normally doesn't have). Maybe it's just one of those things that he'll have once in a while. I'm going back out tomorrow morning and will just keep an eye on it, YO doesn't seem to think he needs the vet, but if it doesn't go away I'll call them out anyway since it's unusual for him. Oh the joys of horse ownership!!

newrider.com