HELP

Alison is fab!! All I will say is I struggled with the said horse, instructors refused to work with it , and it had massive issues with people, full stop. After months of struggling pretty much alone and no sign of been ever able to break it ( major issues long reining or a saddle on) I rang Ali and she took the said horse ( thank goodness as by that point I was mentally, physically and emotionally shattered by it all) tbh I was greatful of the break, I went up to visit and Ali told me iho he was dangerous and they did lots of NH then returned home for consolidation. After 2 weeks off it took 2 weeks and I got it backed and riding away, believe me I was heartbroken to admit defeat but some problems are too big to tackle alone and Ali has a fantastic team who all worked together tbh without her help I'm not sure where we would of been so I'm very grateful to her. She's hard to get hold of but is extremely busy but what a fab yard she has, she took another of mine for a 2 week hol to try and stop the rearing spinning and trying to leg it in traffic, now it jumps but his legs pretty much stay in one place, god knows what she did but it really helped, don't get me wrong he was and is still a work in progress but we are getting there. Again with him she could really see the issue and said it had the potential to be really dangerous. x

Reactions: SeeingSpots
Na you're not, I've lost count of the times Toffee has had me crying. You have to ask yourself though, are you prepared to give him your time and money or not because sounds like he needs a lot of work right now. Sounds like he needs someone on his team though. I'm glad I didn't give up on my boy but he's cost me a lot in lessons. You need to decide what you want to do....... although looks to me like you already have. :)
This horse is my world when I first got him he kicked me so hard he put 8 stitches in my leg broke my fingers toes broke my nose mind that's on the ground within the first 6 months of owning him buy we got through that I don't care what he chucks at me it's dealing with it so we can have fun again! And I no someone will say I tried to sell him I did because of the fact I had two at the time could not afford to keep both and my chestnut was a ex showjumper with real trust issues and he was in a big mess when I bought him but when he keep coming back I advertise him and he went to a lady he clicked with straight away and I keep in touch with and they have loads of fun together! But thank you I will let everyone now what the vet and whisper says :)

Alison is fab!! All I will say is I struggled with the said horse, instructors refused to work with it , and it had massive issues with people, full stop. After months of struggling pretty much alone and no sign of been ever able to break it ( major issues long reining or a saddle on) I rang Ali and she took the said horse ( thank goodness as by that point I was mentally, physically and emotionally shattered by it all) tbh I was greatful of the break, I went up to visit and Ali told me iho he was dangerous and they did lots of NH then returned home for consolidation. After 2 weeks off it took 2 weeks and I got it backed and riding away, believe me I was heartbroken to admit defeat but some problems are too big to tackle alone and Ali has a fantastic team who all worked together tbh without her help I'm not sure where we would of been so I'm very grateful to her. She's hard to get hold of but is extremely busy but what a fab yard she has, she took another of mine for a 2 week hol to try and stop the rearing spinning and trying to leg it in traffic, now it jumps but his legs pretty much stay in one place, god knows what she did but it really helped, don't get me wrong he was and is still a work in progress but we are getting there. Again with him she could really see the issue and said it had the potential to be really dangerous. x
Iam feeling very emotional at the moment and she was very kind on the phone and said she will ring me when she has a bit longer which iam so grateful for :) it's so hard I've worked with so many different horses and managed to deal with them and even him to a degree but he is just to big and strong and he nows it and he just switches off and I can't get through its so upsetting but I know deep down I will get through this and when my lady is off to pony club camp she will be able to take hom he will be 20 odd then and his punishment will being dressed up in pink bows and sparkle hoof oil lol but thank you again iam glad you have passed her on and iam glad you have yours nearly there :)

My friend contemplated selling hers. She was so out of her depth and scared of this horse that she felt she had no alternative. It's ok to think that or even to try and do that, we are all only human after all.
Iam lucky at the moment he is doesn't scare me :/ god nos why think coz I do trust him I just a bit worried we might hurt someone else or he gets hurt! I hope your friend sorts hers out one way or another I've told many people if your afraid it's better to sale because someone else might get on better with it and it's not always your fault but you can't get on with them all and its ment to be fun and there's always another that wants a good loving home x

That's great hopefully I will have the same soon :) well the vet has seen him passed flexion test he said eyes fine ears heart lung back teeth feet etc he has taken bloods lots poor bugger he said he will ring me ASAP to let me no :) and he has given me a number for a chap in Torquay as well and the calmer has turned up so fingers crossed

It wouldn't be separation anxiety if he's been in the field for so long would it? Maybe he needs to go out with company to give him confidence after a long time. Hope I haven't got the wrong end of the stick here.

Exactly my thoughts, I'm shocked actually that someone who calls themselves a professional could be so final after only one session.

I doubt they were final, but I suspect they could tell the horse is too troubled for them to deal with. I would rather that, than someone waste my time and money.

If it's certain times of year it could just be autumn flush and spring grass.

I'm a bit late to all of this, but whilst waiting for Ali I would take everything back to basics.

Sorry if this is teaching to suck eggs, but napping is usually a form of insecurity/anxiety about being alone/away from home. My little monkey (11"2!!) is a napper - even in company. She would just vanish - I've lost countless stirrup leathers caught on fences, I even came off with the saddle after I got stuck on a fence post as she ran. I took it back to being friends... Hours and hours of ground work (101 horsemanship exercises is a nice book to start wth), yielding legs with the smallest of requests - rebuilding where we weren't connecting. It gave me the time to work out how she works too - she has to feel that it's her idea - she won't be told what to do!! We then went to in hand walks - alone and also with others riding out before we considered riding out. I had all the health checks etc revisited as well. It took a couple of years but time and it came good. She still naps, but we now negotiate - her way is the hard way until she decides she wants to go my way.

Basics are always the best places to start I've found - feeding, routine, handling, tack - once you are at basics you can add/remove things to the above working out what does or doesn't work.

You have been extremely rude to KP and other serious horse- people here, myself included. You dont read the posts nor provide the information people are asking you for.
What strikes me is that you see this as personal. It isnt. It is all about horse psychology. May be you have managed till now without a detailed understanding of how horses learn behaviours and how they can be trained to behave differently. People like KP and me who have brought up children, or people who have trained dogs, have some understanding of what is loosely known as behaviourism - There is a good explanation of how Behaviourism can be applied to horse training in the book Perfect Manners by Kelly Marks. The sub title is How to behave so your horse does too -
Kely Marks is a student and associate of Monty Roberts the celebrated American Horse trainer and tho neither KP nor I are ardent followers of his methods, one can learn a lot from watching a whole range of people who handle and correct horses with behaviour that is dangerous. If you are in the UK . Kelly Marks 0prganisation Intelligent Horsemanship (IH) has many local advisers who will come out and help people wit their horses, particularly with leading problems which you seem to have had.
Now I will get personal. Because although one can say that the bad or unhappy reaction of a horse is not personal, they do behave differently with different people. Again no criticism of yourself. But a dear friend of mine had problems with a horse she intended to compete - sent him to a trainer at a competition yard. The young horse returned apprarently sorted out and the first ride, he had his owner off - The trainer liked him so much he took the horse back and into his yard for possible sale.
So there is an example of one rider who didnt get on with a horse that she dearly loved and in the end preferred to let him have a happy existence with other riders.

I and my friends have answered you with courtesy. However, I do not actually believe this thread is genuine because vital information has been with held and none of the questions people have asked about you and your horse have been answered. You have read so fast and carelessly that you misread my own questions. I did not say you used your horse to show off. I asked you to list the things you wanted to do with your horse in future. You have provided none of the information any of us asked you for. So it has been a waste of time our writing.

There is not enough basic understanding of horse behaviour here to convince me that you have the equestrian experience you claim.
However, I can only repeat: I have never been to a yard where a horse was shot, unless on medical grounds. The first step is always to turn to a professional and your arguments against doing that suggest that you have no idea how to choose a professional nor how they work with problem horses. We have tried to explain that to you. You seem to be hinting at some points that you yourself are a trainer of problem horses and have fun with them. Well one expert can ask the help of another trainer if they are stuck.

Your answer seems to be that you are too poor to pay a trainer or too remote - or both. To that there is no easy answer. Keeping a horse is an expensive hobby - But distance is not a problem. The horses who go for training from our local yards are boxed up and driven to the trainers own yard.

There is another thing that happens on the net - Someone posts questions and then turns down every suggestion they are given. You seem to fall into that pattern and then blame people who have replied to you. I can assure you that I myself came to NR years ago - in great trouble and that I was helped by good and careful people some of whom have given their time to try and help you.

You conclude by saying that tho local trainers have declined to help you, a non horsey friend has been brilliant and you are about to hack happilly once more on a horse whom your initial description made to sound truly dangerous, indeed so dangerous that a professional could not ride him and you had been told to have him shot.
If you are happy to ride this horse that is fine. It is your own decision. It is your horse and you can do as you like. (Unless you are a teenager on school holiday which may well be the case.) But please note that none of your posts indicated that the horse was safe for you to ride. We on New Rider forum set a priority on safety.
We are all volunteers. All we do is read the text typed in here. And wait for the OP to read the responses and provide more information.

Sometimes we can help and sometimes not - but whatever the case, at least you should have the courtesy to be grateful instead of going off the deep end about how horrible we all are. It doesnt matter what you do in life, whether is is cooking from a recipe, or riding, or learning to ride a bike, if something isnt working (as per you and the horse) one needs to change something. If one continues as before one is always likely to get the same results. Changing the behaviour of any horse always involves asking why it is behaving that way and trying something a tiny bit different -

So yes it does mean looking at your own strategies - and the sensible reaction is not to get defensive - these are not your personal failings. But if you want to change something in the habitual behaviour of your horse, you need to change something in your behaviour too. If you ride him in exactly the same way, on the same diet and in the same tack, he is quite likely to bolt for home again. What is going to stop him? Just look at your language.

"take a pull", "fly bucks" Fly bucks while going fast? That isnt my experience of a bolting horse.
"we jumped the gate into the yard." We? Or did he jump in spite of your attempts to stop or turn him? What did you do to stop or slow him by the way? When he gallops for home how far away does he start?
45 minutes to fail to teach your own dearly loved horse to lead properly? Just one lesson in leading and ground work should have got that sorted years ago. BHS Stage 1.
And there are things that dont make sense in your later posts like keeping in touch with the owners. What owners?
And why did your local trainers say they could not help? No details given.

Jump back on your horse for a lovely hack on a lovely loose rein since that is apparently how you choose to ride but no one on NR is going to believe that you didnt get the best advice here.
That is one of the best posts I have read on here in a long time !

I've hack him miles and miles through stuff that I no some horses would of not been happy.
And like o did say I happy to take any contacts any ideas anything because all I want is to ride my horse and enjoy it!

But he isn't happy all the time as you wouldnt be here asking for help. Although you can't pinpoint anything that frightens him, clearly going off the yard at certain times of year is.
I put my money on spring grass and autumn flush. Mine can go onto another planet around October, if you feed haylage as well that's enough to send some over the edge.

Some of your problem with him is that you haven't ever met a horse you can't work with.

Perhaps you have now?

Any horseman can think of at least one or two they have met that they didn't gel with, or the horse didn't gel with them. If he has had ten other homes before you, thats about two a year since being backed, if he was at three. Those ten homes couldn't deal with him/help him. I don't think all the trainers he has met along the way would all have been crap either.

I know a few feel this whole thread is fake. If it is, someone somewhere may have similar issues and can pick out the helpful comments.
If the op needs counselling for making up attention seeking fairy stories I think Devon has lots of support networks out there to

Last edited:
Gosh this went a bit ' to infinity and beyond ' . I think if getting the vet out and other professionals has failed . I would retire the horse .

Only just seen these negative feedback today!!!! me and Ken are happily hacking out again took me two hrs plus a few more doggy hacks and we are right on again spoke to his last owners who said they sold him to die since he put his son in hospital big time couldn't believe I haunted him bsja xc rode him alone on roles due to the fact he was so bad in traffic my little one brushes him cuddles him without being killed until I sent him pictures!!! This horse means the world to me and he has tested me to my limits but we have got there again and I'm sure he will find something else in a minute but I'm sure as hell not going to ask on here again sad really the horse world is like this its hard enough as it is but thank you to the kind folks who help when I had no one else for any kind words xxx

newrider.com