Helpppp!

Prjsmk

Dec 1, 2017
So after saying my cob has good feet and gets the odd chips on another post... Tonight he was busy gawping at joggers and tripped on a rock on the rocky road and has took a huge chunk out of his hoof... Pics attached... Sent to my farrier hes seen and not answered (typical thing he does!!!) so what id like to know... Should i panic? (Or should i stop panicing) do i need to do anything? Does he need time off to let it grow a bit?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    953 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    348.9 KB · Views: 27
Of you have a rasp then roll it but I wouldn’t be too worried about it :)
Im not very good at the rolling lol, i do try but im crap at it... Been using kevin bacons hoof stuff daily, cost me £30 i want a refund lol! Farrier said his hooves are dry because of the dry weather/ground he was shocked to hear ive been using that daily!

only issue I have is slightest bit of rain and his hooves are instantly a soggy crumbling mess so dont like to over do it with the hoof moisturiser in dry weather, yet had no choice with this beautiful heatwave (which im loving lol)

I wouldn't worry too much about it. From what I have been reading, barefoot feet can and do chip like this. My vet has told me to stop worrying what Ben's feet look like and concentrate on how he feels and moves.

Is your horse lame or foot sore? Can he still move around as normal? If so, I would carry on as normal.

Ben's front feet are full of chips right now. I was warned that they would chip right up to the nail holes because they are weakened, and they have. They look pretty messy but I am trying not to focus on that and hope that they will become stronger over time.

Never had a chip like this so panicked! He wasnt lame/sore yesterday will update today once i have been up to the field

Im not very good at the rolling lol, i do try but im crap at it... Been using kevin bacons hoof stuff daily, cost me £30 i want a refund lol! Farrier said his hooves are dry because of the dry weather/ground he was shocked to hear ive been using that daily!

only issue I have is slightest bit of rain and his hooves are instantly a soggy crumbling mess so dont like to over do it with the hoof moisturiser in dry weather, yet had no choice with this beautiful heatwave (which im loving lol)

Get yourself a radius rasp.... makes an easy job of rolling if you are not confident with a farriers rasp, I found it really easy to use, a normal rasp is way too big for my little hands.

Reactions: Prjsmk
@Kite_Rider i find them too big for my hands too, il look up the radius rasps, sound useful!

well hes not lame/sore my farriers coming out tmro to rasp his feet properly for me and take off any more chips as this was a smaller chip that broke again so took it further up

newrider.com