Henry's very first dressage test (and mine!)

Cathy Reynolds

Sep 18, 2000
Well, my dear friends, I joined this board 2 years 8 months ago. We had just taken delivery of a virtually unbroken 13.2hh pony, Benny, for my grand-daughter, and I hadn't handled a horse in 30 years. I got back into the saddle myself in February 2001, and finally bought Henry in May 2002. Those who have followed my fortunes will know that this has been a difficult journey. Henry was scared stiff of the school, spooked at his shadow, looked like a cross between a giraffe and a sewing machine and had NO idea of self-carriage. But, yesterday, we went to Forest Edge Equestrian Centre, in affiliated dressage, and did Prelim 7 and 18. I'd never actually competed before and at the grand age of 51, Henry won his first rosette with me (and my first ever, of course!), a 4th, in Prelim 7. Prelim 18 we did about the same (57% I think) but there were much classier horses in that class. My stated aim for the day had been to get him into the arena past the HUGE plastic flower displays either side of the A marker, and in front of the hugely scary caravan but actually seeing my beloved Henry behave so well and get left lead canter correct first time in Prelim 7, I was actually sobbing with pride and relief as we came out of the arena. My trainer thought I was going to be sick when we arrived, I was so nervous. Guess what, the schedules are out and we are going again on May 21st.

So, for all you out there who lack confidence (ME!), or self-belief (ME!), or don't dare canter (ME! for MONTHS), who can't work out their diagonals (ME! still occasionally now), who can't do sitting trot (still me, a bit, I can do a few strides at a time now, on Henry) you CAN DO IT.

Oh and by the way, my 9 yr old grandson Luke rode Benny the pony tonight - he has been riding for just over a year and was practising things like (I kid you not) rising trot with no stirrups around poles set about 5 m apart in the indoor school. I'm not sure which has given me more pleasure, to be truthful.

Last edited:
Well done!!!!!!!!

My first dressage test was also prelim 7 and Maverick got his left lead right first time, unlike our very messy right rein canter.

Prelim 7 was a nice test. I liked it because I didn't have to canter a complete circle and the free rein was nice and short.

Well done

Congrats your thread sounds like such an achievement. I really know where you are coming from and have also just done my first test. I had bought all the gear ages ago when the shop had a sale and the stables had a show so I entered. I did not do the jump or canter elements, I entered just to see if I could ride in (Smart) clothes and keep the trot even and not rushed. It was horse's first test too and she is not mine.

We done OK, fastest 3 minutes of my life, kept the trot even, sat a whole 20m circle in trot twice without bouncing too much and loosing feet and even got some 8's.

Can't wait for the next one and hopefuly I can start working on some more goals. It's a great feeling isn't it.

What a fantastic achievement, and such a brilliant result.

Congratulations, and so very well done - I look forward to hearing how things go in May.

Good luck,

Lesley

newrider.com