Here's a peculiar situation...

Ruskii

Jun 21, 2000
UK
Righto , found a REALLY nice private yard that we have now taken over :D

But we arent paying per horse, we're paying for the stables and land, job lot if you like, we're left to get on with it and do everything ourselves it's LOVELY :D

Found myself thinking tonight, we have the extra space and land now for a third beastie. All the usual problems (time money etc) arent really a problem as both OH and I have a horse each so we both chip in each evening and do the horses.

Although I considered getting a third livery in to get back some cash, we arent really allowed to do it (although if I pushed it I'm sure I could) but part of me doesnt want to share my yard again, I've been kinda put off sharing with anyone except OH :eek:

Would I be totally mad to get a third one ? Both of ours are riding horses and perfectly sound (touch wood, knowing my luck now I've just said that one will probably be lame tmw :rolleyes:) so we dont need another riding horse, although one is getting older now and I dont know if OH wants another horse after Spirit is retired.

What are some ideas ? I did think I could probably offer a companion home for a horse, or would that be daft ? Would you think 'Nah, 2's enough, or possibley get an oldie that I could offer a home for life to ? (It wouldnt need to be ridden, it could happily be a lawn mower for the rest of it's life)

Thoughts/comments welcome :)

i also lease 'per lot' rather then per horse but although i have enough room for two more i have found i much prefer having two as when i had three i found my time stretched (even grooming, feeding and checking another horse takes time;)) BUT what i would say is its entirely up to you and if YOU want another horse:)

Well I'm in a similar situation as I'm not sure what is happening re my yard as my friend keeps changing her mind as to whether she is going to keep hers over with mine or not. As of tonight it looks like not.

Tbh if I had 2 horses I would stick with just having my 2 on there and not share with anyone ever again.

The trouble is that if the person who comes onto your yard isn't suitable then things are all the more intense for it being a small yard.

I have been so thrilled at having my own place but it has been nothing but trouble that last few months.

So much so that I am actually wondering whether to look at going on a livery yard and sub-letting all of my place out.

If I could afford to get another horse then I would so I wouldn't have to share again but I can't afford it :(

To be honest I think I would only have 3 or more. I hate leaving one behind if I want to take one out on it's own, especially if they get distressed. They seem to form such a powerful bond if there is just two, I'd worry about what would happen if one had to spend time at the vets for example, or if you just wanted to take one to a fun ride or something.

Joyscarer - sorry to hear about your situation. I wish I could help but Forest has to have indiviual turnout on loads of grass so wouldn't be any help to you or Joy!
Hope it gets better soon though

newrider.com