Hey! Quick fix for butt bruises?

Sibe.runner

Jun 4, 2019
Yikes, long post!
Hey. New member, only been taking equine assisted therapy lessons since November. Once a week. So I ride a lesson horse, not my own. I started riding English saddle and learning how to do the posting trot. In the last month, my instructor has put me in a western saddle to learn how to do the sitting jog. Here's my issue, besides my neurological and balance and coordination issues which is why I am in therapeutic lessons, I have a slightly tilted pelvic girdle and very narrow hips (for a woman).
Western saddle is harder (to the touch) than an English. My oddly placed sit bones from the tilt and narrowing hit the saddle through my thighs, right where my butt cheek stops, as the saddle probably isn't the right fit for me. I have bruises for a week (which keep refreshing after weekly lessons) on my inner upper thigh.
My instructor is only keeping me in a western saddle for a couple more weeks, but I am trying to figure out if there is some way to save my butt/thighs.
Obviously, as it is not my horse, or my saddle, and I don't have any extra money, I can't buy like a seat saver or anything for the saddle. I am honestly wondering if cutting like a maxi pad in half and stick it to the inside of my pants right where I sit would work. I have worn my husband's bicycle shorts, and it only slightly helps. I'm too stubborn and have the mindset of 'if I'm not dying and I'm not going to stop' so I'm going to stick with western the next 2 weeks so I can keep improving. But is there an inexpensive DIY to save my seat? Honestly, like maxi pads?

Personally if it were me, I would mention it. The reason is a simple change of stirrup length can make all the difference
Riding isn't about creating bruises, it can be about developing muscle memory though. You will be tense and that's not going to help the jog which I haven't had issues sitting to, the opposite of the trot.

That's pretty normal in many Western saddles, they were designed for men not women so the seat isn't ideal unless you buy one specially designed for a woman. It can be helped by position though, be mindful to 'sit on your pockets' not on the fork of your pelvis and don't try to grip on with your thighs.

My friend has an extra long tail bone, which gives her jip when riding. If I remember rightly, she bought a fake sheepskin remnant, and elasticated it to make her own seatsaver.

Reactions: Sibe.runner
newrider.com