Hi, anyone from Ayr? I'm new and starting all over again

P

P4TD

Hi everyone! Well, I've taken the plunge and decided to start riding again :eek:

When I was younger I rode for years, but I got injured and then moved away and just never got back into it again - now it's been eight years since I've been on a horse! My neice has been riding for a couple of years and she knows I used to ride, so has been pestering me to take her. She's staying with us next weekend so I finally gave in and (stupidly) booked a 3hr hack to the beach, spent a fortune on new gear and was getting quite excited about it, but now I'm panicking! I should have booked some lessons first, shouldn't I?! I've got my new hat, jods, short boots, long boots, whip, gloves - just the skill I'm lacking now :D

I was wondering if I should call up first thing tomorrow and see if they can fit me in for a last-minute private lesson some time this weekend, and maybe again one evening next week? Then I'll at least have had a couple of hours back in the saddle before I embark on a whole morning of roads, open countryside and 5 miles of sand...!

Thing is, I'm a total wimp and I'm so nervous - not so much about the riding, but about going to the centre on my own. It was much easier when I was a kid instead of a grown woman! It's quite a big place (Ayrshire Equestrian Centre) and looks a bit, well, posh! I'm a bit shy at the best of times, so I don't know how I'll get on. I keep remembering back to how bitchy and stand-offish my old stables were to new people, and I don't want to be the newbie again!

Does anyone else ride there, or have any tips for me? So scary! :confused:

I used to have lessons there.

The beach rides are fab!!

I didn't get on with my regular instructor - it was a clash of personalities more than anything else so I'm sure you'll be fine.:)

You'll have a ball - if you go for lessons you will be too sore for the main event. Might as well go for broke now - its really too late to get into "riding fitness" mode.

I've been off for months and since getting going again a fortnight ago I have discovered that I cant walk (well I can but I look like John Wayne!)

Lizayr from on here is very close to Ayrshire Equitation and Big Ears is not that much further. I'm half an hour the other way up the 77 towards Glasgow:)

Hi I am not from Ayr but up the road a bit in Renfrewshire. I am in exactly the same boat as you. I booked a lesson then phoned up and cancelled. I have re-booked now as feeling a bit braver.

I have not bought any riding clothes yet but I am tempted to visit Derby House for a look around. Dangerous territory though as I will give into temptation. There is a pair of boots that have seriously caught my eye on the website.

Good luck with the ride. Hope your not too sore.

Hi - welcome to new rider.

There are loads of us on here that have a break from riding.

I have been back since about September and having a great time.

I come from Renfrewshire and last month I went on the 3 hour beach ride at Ayr Equestrian Centre. I rode a lovely horse called Belle. IMHO I would try and fit in a lesson before hand if you could. The ride is good but think you would need to be fairly confident as they do some very fast canters.:eek::eek:

Don't worry about it being posh - it's fine. Also don't worry about crossing the A77. The horses are great and all stick together and trot really fast across the road.

Have a great time (wear gloves I ended up with a blister) and please let me know how you got on.;)

Thanks everyone! The thought of the fast cantering was what made me a bit worried! :eek:

I wasn't sure if they did that because it doesn't say you need to be an experienced rider to do the ride, and she never asked, so I guess they must just presume you are? It says on the website it's a must for anyone visiting the area - I guess some people could be in for a shock if they're expecting a nice gentle plod through the countryside and end up at the back of a fast canter :eek: :D

The thought of that spurred me into action and I've just booked an hour's private lesson for tomorrow morning at 11.30. I'll try and get another one for an evening in the week. Ooooh I'll be sore!

I think you've done the right thing booking a lesson first. I think the RS appreciate someone who's aware that hacking is more than just a bus ride. I've just come back from a hack this morning with my RS. We're in a tourist area & it never ceases to amaze me that people book a hack like someone would a donkey ride at the beach. I've even seen people turn up in flip flops:eek:
I can't imagine that they'd be doing a fast canter unless all of the group were comfortable at that gait, especially seeing as its not advertised to attract a certain rider level.
Anyway, be sure to let us know how you get on & don't do what I always do and forget to take some pics!!

PS, if ever you find a shop that sells skill & or confidence be sure to buy some for me, I'll even pay you triple :D

Hehe. I also had time out of riding and only recently got back into it. I have been along the shore with one of my friends horses and I had great fun. I almost came off as my friend did not warn me that her horse tends to leap the waves :D

Does anyone know of livery places between Girvan/Ayr?

Can u get your neice 2 come?

If the instructors are like that then you can report them. If you explain your background they will understand and do it at your pace

i'm very lucky with the instructor i've got -we get on great together (can't find her facebook though) and i'm sure you'll get on with yours

maybe you could ask one of your local family/friends to go with you to your first - my dad comes to mine mainly coz he pays for it

just looked at their website - i wish i lived in scotland - it looks fab there and for what you get the livery looks good price

Last edited:
newrider.com