Hi from new member

OwnedbyShetty

Sep 23, 2015
South Australia
Hi everyone, I too am older and shorter!

As my name suggests I am 'owned' by a Shetland, 2 in fact. My ponies are not shown, simply loved and made useful when possible.

My solid 6yr old gelding Noah, is over height for his breed and I weigh 50 - 53kgs. Noah is my pack pony, we walk into the PO & sometimes I ride him a little bit of the way. He is keen & has no trouble with me on him. Adjusting to traffic is an issue we work on more, to be honest. We only walk, potter really & I do have to watch that he doesn't stop to talk to absolutely everybody! If there is a pram though I'm doomed, he HAS to stop to talk to the littlies! :rolleyes: Together we are changing people's perception of Shetties.

So hi everyone from Noah as well or he'll put out.:D

Thanks for the welcome! I shall learn about putting photos up here, but I'm not technologically advanced, so you may have to be patient. Can't seem to find the right photos even on the computer atm.

Noah & I live in South Australia so we have been busy during what has been our daytime.

Went to the PO to collect mail and pay bills grrr, next to the little saddlery shop so Noah could have a fitting for a new flymask for summer, ducked into to pay Vet bill to our Vet who visits our little town on Thursdays and in between all of the boring stuff, Noah said g'day to lots of people much to his satisfaction. I walked most of the way & rode him a bit. He ignored barking dogs, trucks, people pushing trolleys & much more, so I am bursting with pride. We may never do much, but he is my mate and helping me out in the best way he can, now that I can no longer drive.

Thanks for reading, hope you haven't all gone to sleep in boredom! :) I was a bit chuffed with my fat little pony.

Reactions: Jessey
I forgot to tell everyone that I love all your horses and ponies! From the quick look I've had so far, I could quite easily pop them all in my paddock. :D The snow intrigues me too!

Aw your guy sounds awesome, and you must live in a great place to be able to take your pony into town to do errands :D My sister recently travelled Aus and has made me desperately want to visit with her stories :D

Hi, welcome :D we like pics on here, feel free to share lots :D
Hi Jessey. :) Still trying to find photos and then I'll try and put them up. :D
I like the sound of Noah and would love to see pictures of him engaged in his social outreach! Welcome to the forum.

Hi Jane & Ziggy! Photos will come when I work it all out. Sorry I'm not very technologically up to date. :oops: Then I will probably bore you when I do work it out.

Reactions: Jessey
Aw your guy sounds awesome, and you must live in a great place to be able to take your pony into town to do errands :D My sister recently travelled Aus and has made me desperately want to visit with her stories :D

Thanks so much, it means a lot! All the horsey people here look down on me as I don't show or compete, that is why I think this forum will be great for my confidence. Just being able to share my adventures with someone is lovely.

What part of the world are you in Jessey?

Hi. Love the sound of Noah. I used to have a wonderful Shettie I would take into the garden of the local pre-school for the kids to pat and stroke!

We don't get snow here.

I take my cob for walks :) We have been invited to stop off at the bakery next time we pop into the village. She has a driving harness for this. She knows harness means walks.

We don't show or compete either unless you count the online competitions you can do at home.

For photos click on upload a file. It uploads certain sizes, I have to use picsart to resize my photos.

Hi Squidsin, newforest & emi! Frost here this morning. At least it isn't windy.

Jessey, I read and watch a lot of material set in the UK. Sigh, would love to visit where my ancestors came from, not to mention all that fantastic history you have over there!

That's great newforest, taking your horse around, especially to a bakery. Wow! Noah would love that kind of shop! :D Walking takes the pressure off both of you and gives the horses time to take everything in and simply enjoy being out with their human in a fun, but educational way. Is your horse a New Forest Pony?

Emi, my town has a population of less than 2000 and virtually all the few shops are on either side of the main street.
The PO is approx. in the centre and opposite the little supermarket. The PO has a strong weld mesh fence to the side of the building where I tie Noah on the inside. He feels safe as he can see through it but he is still separated from the footpath. The front of the PO is glass, making it easy for me to watch him while I'm waiting in line. I do my banking in the PO as well. Very lucky.

We will work up to him standing there while I dash across the road to grab something from the supermarket. Again it has a glass front so I should be able to still keep an eye on him. He is normally very good, but he has been known to suck and chew on his lead rope when bored! Can't be good all the time I s'pose!:rolleyes:

A lot of tourists love talking to him and I come out of the PO to see him giving complete strangers big whiskery kisses. :) As it warms up here, in Summer it gets up to and over 45C, so the tourist season will finish soon. Our trips will have to be made as early as possible in the mornings too. My ponies are both losing their Winter coats in great handfuls, so does that mean Summer is going to be a really extreme one? Eeek, hope not!:eek:

Reactions: Trewsers
Hi
No she is an Irish Cob. Ours shops currently have surf boards with buckets and spades outside. She eyes up the ice cream van. :)

Reactions: Trewsers
newrider.com