Hi - I am new here - was wondering about buying a Criollo....

hiya KT- the first 2 are TB x criollos but cigaro is a pure criollo according to monique- he was going for ALOT of money!!!! polo genius apparently- he's been sold now though. he doesnt look all that chunky but i think some of them werent even though they were supposed to be pure.
i know Archie has got to be mostly TB as he's so fine (and a bit thick!! :D).

I think it is not a good idea to limit your search to just one breed. Sensible, reliable, fun horses come in all shapes and in my limited experience I have met more grumpy Criollos than friendly ones.
Keep an open mind when you are looking and try to judge a horse for its individual personality rather than what is said about the breed in general.

Hi

Someone pointed me over here as I am thinking of buying a Criollo. I have lost my confidence somewhat with my unpredictable TB and feel like the fun ahs gone out of riding for me now.

I have read up on Criollos a bit and am tempted by their even temperament and trusty natures. Does anyone have any good advice about them, and/or experience of them?

I have seen the Criollo farm in Wiltshire online and emailed them ages ago - but they are MILES away from me in Lincolnshire! I have found a place in Cranoe, Leicestershire, called Grange Farm Criollo Horses - the lady there does rides etc but has also sold the odd Criollo, having imported from Argentina - has anyone heard of this place?

sorry for all the questions on my first outing!

Thanks in advance!

I have ridden at Susie Bowies place in Leicestershire and it is absolutely fantastic. After riding for ten years on mad broncos with nerves of steel :p I had finally lost my confidence earlier on a Welsh Sec D, who regularly threw me off. I ended up with torn ligaments in my leg so couldn't ride for six months, so we had to sell him.

I was SO frightened when I got on again for the first time after that, but Sarah (the lovely and very fun instructor at Grange Farm) put me at ease straight away. The horse I rode was called Rossi, a really really laid back and lovely horse who I was desperate to take home. After the first canter that was it, I was totally hooked and my confidence was back- it was really that easy; I knew it was going to be good and a bit therapeutic but I didn't think it would click so quickly!

Sarah was fantastic; even when we went out on a bigger ride (seven people) with some quite ignorant people who had told Susie and Sarah they were more experienced than they were, and I was feeling quite nervy as I was on a different horse Rio (who was equally as lovely and perfect in every way but just wasn't my type), she held back every time we cantered to stay level with me to help me to stay calm and was really attentive- I've never been treated so well by a riding instructor.

I've never been to a yard where the people there say they like EVERY SINGLE HORSE; neither Sarah or Susie had anything bad to say about any of them. My sister had a fantastic ride there too on some of the more exciting (but sensible!!!) horses such as Banjo and Costillio and wanted to take them all home!

Susie also gave us a great proper lesson on the horses, teaching us how to lope and do some manouvres; we had the best canter (lope!!) ever, over an open stubblefield. Halfway through that ride a fighter jet came over- it was so low we could make eye contact with the pilot (I'm not even exaggerating)- and I was clinging onto Rossi's neck, thinking "oh my god, any moment now we are going to be off, and I'm going to end up on my back". ALL of the horses, even a more sensitive youngster which Susie was riding, stood there, stock still, with an ear flicked upwards listening to the roar of the engines. You would never experience that on an English horse! It's the wierdest thing I've ever experienced.

I'm saving up now to buy one- Susie has a waiting list, you tell her what sort of horse you'd like and she will tell you as soon as one comes over. All of her horses before they're sold are fully used to all aspects of english horse care, so won't get upset at clippers or the farrier!

I can't say enough about these fantastic horses or this fantastic little known yard, I would DEFINATELY say to give them a visit and go and have a ride or two there before travelling further afield.

Sorry to ramble!

meandlu.jpg

I'm on Rossi, the lovely red roan, and Lucy is on Banjo.

I bought 2 from the criollo farm this year. It is generally easier to e-mail monique with your preferences then she gets an idea of what you want / like etc. She can then start matching up horses that she has before you even get there.

My OH and I went down there from Rugby (1 hour 20 mins away) and expected to be chucked on a couple of horses and left to get on with it but NOT a chance. We goth there at 0900 and didnt leave till after 2200 I think (we stayed for dinner). Nicer person who really knows her horses you couldnt wish to meet, and she stands by her guarantee too.

I wanted a 4 year old mare that was suitable for a bit of polo and also safe enough for the OH to ride occasionally, instead we bought 2 X 6 year old geldings, 1 of which has played polo the other is unknown but hey.
I had not had anything to do with horses for 8 or so years, after a lifetime of working with them (till i knackered up my back schooling a novice eventer XC - rolled on me and now have a crumbling spine), so needed something safe and sane - I had worked with Criollos on polo yards and stuff so knew their temprements etc and that they were what i was looking for.

To cut a long story short after going to the farm about 3 times in about 2 weeks we had bought both Nico & Romeo and we are loving every moment of having them. They are just such lovely even tempered and fun at the same time too.
Incidently the OH is a very novicey novice but has no probs galloping his boy flat out now - he shrinks by about 2 hands when flat out which is sooo weird !!!

If you do buy one the criollo club is such fun. We have only managed to get on one since we bought them but had an awesome time and met loads of other criollo owners and made loads of friends too.

I would highly recommend a Criollo, I have had 2 Criollo x TB. Although personality wise they were both different, they were still both sensible, safe, lots of fun, fast when required, learn really fast and definitely something else. This is Roserina, she is an ex polo pony in her early twenties, I have had her for eight years, and I love her to bits. We recently came 1st in a local endurance ride.

Roserina.jpg

This is Portenia, this pic was taken last year, a few days before being PTS due to her being 95% blind from cataracts in both eyes, she was in her late twenties. She was a fantastic ride and she also became quite good at dressage.

PIC_0011.jpg

I recently went to the Criollo Farm with my OH and had a fantastic time on 2 lovely well trained horses. We traveled there from the Isle of Wight and it was well worth the trip. Monique is so welcoming and helpful. I don't know the Grange.

Dad bought a Criollo earlier this year and suits him perfectly - keeps fitness, seems to be pretty bombproof under saddle. I personally would be wary of using a criollo shipped from Argentine to gain confidence back - while all were safe, dad did mention that all of them were very sharp and all come with 'baggage'. Some will shrug it off and settle down, some won't. And as mentioned, if they take a shine to you then you have a friend for life (especially if food is involved!), but if you pee them off then they never seem to forget it.
Hugo is very wary of new people, dad can do anything with him, but for me I find it unnerving being round a rising 7yr old that acts like a colt that has never seen something before. Ironically the quicker you 'lump' the tack on the better he is. Start taking your time with the tack and he becomes nervous and spooky. Interestingly he is wary of women (but in argentina it would have been unlikely that he would have been handled by a woman).

Dad has spent months on top of the dealers hard work to get him used to things that we consider everyday such as eating grass, hay in haynets, water in water bucket (drinks from puddles, which like dad pointed out is fine in the winter but a bit of an issue in the summer), grooming (still regards a brush as a horse eating tickly instrument), shoeing and rugging (although has become strangely attached to his rug). Though he did learn early on what polos are and where on the body they are kept, but is highly suspicious of carrots!!

Pics from when he was in Holland before coming to England (now looks like a highland that has been put in the tumble dryer!):

Attachments

• HUGO2.jpg
    HUGO2.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 59
  • HUGO.jpg
    HUGO.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 61
Hi Abisheridee - I have ridden Banjo - he is really lovely - My Criollo Buddy is very much like him and Buck from Susie Bowies place - my friend rode Rossi. I like you had such a great time there I bought one from Monique in Wiltshire called "Criollo Farm"

Elly Koopman - its a shame your Dads Criollo is a bit tempermentle - hope hes getting on better now!! who is riding him in those pictures it looks like Susie Bowie and Rick?:confused:

Heres another picture of my fab easy to ride and handle Criollo "buddy"

BuddyMK2.jpg

mare i tried- really sweet temperament - she was sold that week (TB x criollo)
http://

Gato- sweet natured TB x criollo x 5 yr old

Cigaro- full criollo- unbelievably fast and agile- too much for me ;) having a quick kip.

Are these three typical examples of the breed? Their necks are very poorly shaped, not sure if it's under muscled or ewe necks?

Why are they ridden in bits with such long shanks? Surely if they are so good you ride in a gentle bit?

Just wanted to add a few thoughts as this thread has popped back up!!!

Something that worries me on NR in particular is the habit of lumping all horses from South America in as "Criollos" - many of the ones I have seen on the internet do not fit the breed standard (although I am not for one minute suggesting they are not good horses, just that they are either not good examples of the breed or are indeed not Criollos at all) Also I've seen threads where they are said to be Appaloosa or Florida Crackers, and it is implied these are one and the same as criollos... very different breed standards!!!

When buying a Criollo I would suggest if it is the breed people are interested in they read up on the breed standard and know what they should be looking for. Also papers I'm a great believer in "you don't ride papers" but if you are interested in the breed it is worth considering do you want a registered horse with papers? Our stallion is papered but one of our best (riding/playing) mares is not.

Also there seems to be an impression on NR that the only way to get a Criollo in to the UK is by boat. You can import a criollo and fly it into the UK with little trouble. Yes it costs more but it is wrong to imply that every Criollo in the UK came via Italy and Holland on the ship!!!!

No-one is implying that - Yes you can fly them in, but the ones from Italy (normally via Holland it seems) were destined as meat from Argentina as they are deemed not good enough as they didn't complete the 'marcha' so papers not really an option. They are all gelded though so breeding not an issue. And ultimately it comes down to money - a shipped Criollo is costing approx. £4500 (ish?), let alone the cost of flying and possible quarantine costs.

K.T - Hugo isn't really temperamental, just naive and all un-worldly although he really is proving his worth with dad and seems to be completely bombproof with things you'd expect him to freak at (like tractors, deer, squirrels, flappy plastic etc.) and really very babyish with other seemingly benign :rolleyes: Ad yes, I believe it was Susie Bowers et al :)

Are these three typical examples of the breed? Their necks are very poorly shaped, not sure if it's under muscled or ewe necks?

Why are they ridden in bits with such long shanks? Surely if they are so good you ride in a gentle bit?

these were all being used for polo hence the upside down necks and pelhams.

My criollo looks nothing like the polo ponies one, much cobbier, but is worth her weight in gold

Hi

Someone pointed me over here as I am thinking of buying a Criollo. I have lost my confidence somewhat with my unpredictable TB and feel like the fun ahs gone out of riding for me now.

I have read up on Criollos a bit and am tempted by their even temperament and trusty natures. Does anyone have any good advice about them, and/or experience of them?

I have seen the Criollo farm in Wiltshire online and emailed them ages ago - but they are MILES away from me in Lincolnshire! I have found a place in Cranoe, Leicestershire, called Grange Farm Criollo Horses - the lady there does rides etc but has also sold the odd Criollo, having imported from Argentina - has anyone heard of this place?

sorry for all the questions on my first outing!

Thanks in advance!

Hi there!
I know its been a while since you posted this question but I am new to this site so have only just read it.

My husband and I have been riding at Susie Bowie's place, Grange Farm at Cranoe, every weekend for over a year and couldn't recommend it highly enough.
The horses are amazing, so much choice and not a single horse there that we don't enjoy riding!

I have owned horses and ponies in the past and returned to riding 3 years ago after a 12 year break, when my husband decided he wanted to learn to ride.
After 18 months of lessons / hacking at a conventional riding school, English style, we discovered Western riding at Grange Farm and these wonderful Criollos and we never want to ride any other way!

The rides are in the most stunningly beautiful countryside, with rolling hills, quiet country lanes, miles of bridle paths and gated roads - even a ford to cross (look out if you're riding Costillio - he's rather fond of water!)

If I was ever in the market to buy another horse I wouldn't consider anything other than a Criollo, after riding a wide variety of different ones over the last 15 months.
They have many different personalities, some laid back and steady, some quite feisty and very very fast, but all are really responsive, comfortable and seem to be fazed by very little and will do whatever is asked of them.

Unfortunately we do not have the time or the funds to buy 2 horses at the moment, but then why would we need to? We have the choice of 12+ Criollos to ride every weekend and we enjoy being able to help tack up before and groom and turn out etc after our ride.

If you are still looking for a Criollo and haven't already contacted Susie, I really would give her a try. She has always has several Criollos for sale and always takes great care to find the right match.
Good Luck - maybe we'll see you there one day!

newrider.com