Hi - I'm new!

I have hacked out a 10.2hh pony, three times a week and regularly ridden an 11.2hh in my younger days.
When I was lighter I rode any size, it didn't matter. But I tend to ride 13.1hh above now as I need a 16.5" seat :)

My lass is about 14.1hh but she is a weight carrier.

PicsArt_02-14-09.59.03.jpg

Reactions: Trewsers and Aisha
Wow there are some lovely ponies on this thread! Lovely to see people out enjoying their horses :D

You don't look to big or heavy so I would just ignore the nasty comments and keep doing what you're doing!

I've got a 15hh Connemara and wouldn't go back to bigger horses now. I know people who have got bigger posher warmbloods who have to be ridden nearly every day and take a lot of work. Give me my little connie any day he's safe, sane and sensible and above all he's a lot of fun and can turn his hoof to anything! 11792075_1051763878197127_8228373551868032930_o.jpg 10407802_901382016568648_5539171275402894009_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Aisha and Trewsers
I think it is entirely down to what a particular horse or pony is comfortable with rather than set rules. My 14-ish stone partner rides my 14.2 sec D from time to time and she shows no sign of being uncomfortable, will quite happily canter, jump etc. She is an opinionated sort of mare and would not tolerate a too-heavy rider - when I first got her she came with a badly fitting saddle and she wouldn't let me mount until I got it sorted.
However, my partner once had some lessons at a local riding school and one week his regular horse wasn't available so they brought out a cobby type about the same size as mine and it was not at all happy, laid it's ears back and kicked out when he tried to walk it forward - after that they let him ride mine instead and never said anything about him being too heavy so he must have looked ok

Reactions: Aisha
That sounds exactly what I've experienced happy bunny. If a rider is too heavy you can immediately see the discomfort in the pony - they seem to sink - and if they're fine with it's easy to see there's no reaction. One of the smaller kerry bog ponies takes the bigger teenagers without batting an eyelid. I totally agree with what you've found :)

My first time here well I'm 62 kg and I ride a 12 hh welsh A grade pony 7 years old...I got hurt by a 15:2 Anglo x Arab a few yrs ago ten years brake from horses now I have nelson he a good pony I teach to to work in harness at the moment

Attachments

• IMG_20160120_055822.jpg
    IMG_20160120_055822.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 7
I'm feeling left out looking at these lovely ponies. I own an overgrown pony. He is a 16.1hh shire x, so is built like a tank. He is far too big for me really as I am only 5ft 2". I used to dream of buying a chunky pony of about 13hh for my kids to ride and which I would have some fun on as well. But sadly they are not at all interested in riding so that is not going to happen anytime soon!

I think my husband might divorce me if I do! It would be different if my kids were involved because they would be with me and we would be spending time together. If I had a pony in addition to my horse, it would mean I spend too much time apart from them. However, when they are grown up, that will be another story!

I'm 5'6'' and my ponies are a smidge over 12hh and 14.2

10.3.jpg 19.jpg

A few ponies I backed and produced - 13hh, 13.2, 13.2 and 14hh from left to right

70.jpg 140.jpg DSC03110 goooood.JPG 179.jpg

And a couple of Shetlands, because why not :p

vlcsnap-2011-09-25-18h58m28s173.png vlcsnap-2011-09-25-19h28m17s140.png

I think a lot of the time people hear your height, imagine you on a certain height of pony and picture you being way too big, but should they actually see you on board the pony right in front of them it comes as a surprise that you are in fact quite well-matched! For comparison this is me on a 17hh. I think a lot of people would see this photo and think I'd dwarf a 12hh pony, but if you look back at the photo of me on mine that is clearly not the case!

58.jpg

I have a 14.2 Fell pony who feels the perfect size for me. I also have a 13hh Heinz 57 pony who I also feel fine on, and my kids have a 13.2 welshie who I ride regularly. From the way he carts me all over the place and jumps everything 3 times higher than he needs to, he seems un-bothered by my weight!!. Ponies are great. My own RI keeps asking me when I am going to get a 'proper' horse. I just laugh. I'm fine with my little herd!

Dessie's on the left with me in pink and the other one jumping is Twirl. The one in the school was a livery, her teenage owner had got her as a 2-year-old and already lost interest by the time the pony was old enough to back :rolleyes: so her parents paid me to start her for them so they could get her sold ASAP. She was lovely, quite whizzy and a bit unpredictable but I had fun with her. She was 4 in that photo. Very quick learner.
The chestnut belonged to friends, he was meant to be their daughter's next pony but turned out to be a total fruitcake so as soon as I'd got him hacking, cantering and jumping crosspoles they sold him on. Can't say I was sad to see him go ;)

Last edited:
Welcome Yasmin. Please disregard the nasty "lap top meanies" typing their negative opinions. Your Native ponies look lovely and I know as a Native owner they are great weight carriers.
Short backs carry weight better than long backed horses. You are a healthy size...and since you teach children, you need to be able to get on those little strong beasts to school them every so
often. I have a Connie cross (15.1 hh and a Highland Pony). The first is very forward but sensible while the second well, lets say I get my Cardio work out riding him.
Look forward to your posts.

Reactions: SeeingSpots
I prefer ponies. I love their characters and mental and physical toughness. I think of them like a force of nature. My pony is 12.1 hands and doesn't seem to notice my 10 stone weight. He always wants to whizz around faster than I really want to go at the time. I haven't had any nasty comments about me riding him yet because I haven't had him out and about, due to lack of a horse trailer. I do imagine it will happen though. I plan to have him trained and conditioned beautifully (working hard on that) then ignore the ignorant comments. People will either see for themselves Rusty can happily carry me or they won't. I love my pony so much and have so much fun with him. I'm not going to let anyone ruin it for me. When I get an additional horse someday it will be another pony. A little larger one so other people can ride out with me.

Welcome! Don't feel you have to stay in the "Adults Who Ride Ponies" section. We pony riders are all over this forum. Your ponies are beautiful. I'm going to pop over to your website so I can look at them some more:).

Reactions: SeeingSpots
newrider.com