Hi

Sunshinecandy

Jun 4, 2016
Cannock, Staffordshire
Hello, I am so pleased I that have came across this forum. I am 52 and wondered if I was a bit old for this hobby but now I feel more reassured. I have such a love for Horses I find it rather addictive. I started riding around 4 years ago but after a nasty fall which put me completely out of action for 7 months I lost my nerve and confidence. I have only started riding again a few months ago but I am so nervous especially upon mounting.
Does anyone have this fear?
Sunshine candy :)

Getting on and off is like taking off and landing in a plane, potentially dangerous, more so than riding along or flying along.

One thing I insist upon is a horse who stands still on mounting and remains still until I say go.

You're not alone. I hate mounting even though my saintly mare will stand like a rock until I'm ready to move. I still worry about the saddle slipping or that she'll move away from the block before I'm on properly. Once on board I am much happier!

Getting off is easier since at the end of the ride we walk on a free rein to the centre of the school and stop to discuss the lesson with RI. She is guaranteed to stand still then. I don't dismount the BHS way - feet both out of the stirrups and swing your leg over - I keep my left foot in the stirrup, stand in that stirrup until I can get my right leg over, then kick my left foot free and slide gently down.

I can get on by myself now but for a long time had to have someone at the mare's head to make sure she didn't move.

Of course you're not too old - at 52 you're in your prime! There's quite a few of us on here that would love to be 52 again......

Getting on and off are the hardest part of riding, at least for me.....my hips hate it when I swing my leg over and a few times I've nearly toppled straight over the other side. And as for dismounting - well, luckily my horse stands very patiently as this is a long drawn-out process. I have to take my feet out of the stirrups and swing my legs back and forth for a while. I nearly always get my right leg stuck on the cantle, meaning that I'm lying along my horse's back until I manage to sort that out - then there's at least 30 seconds of hanging over her like a dead cowboy before I slither down her to land feet-first on the ground.....at which point her head comes round with mouth open requesting a treat for her patience and understanding....:D
Really I could do with some sort of winch. (My mare is a 16.3 heavy horse so built like a tank)

Stick with it, because riding is brilliant for the mind and the body

Thank you all for replying it's great to know I'm not the only one with this fear. I think it's something I just need to get over. My horse is a star really it's just my inexperience of riding and my nerves getting the better of me. I will also stop worrying and start enjoying where am at this moment I have accomplished so much really.
I never thought I would ride again after my accident, I fractured my pelvis and upper arm which I had surgery on three months later after being messed around at by the hospital, but that's another story. It completely knocked my confidence and I was even frightened to go near horses for a while, so really in reflection I think I am doing ok and it's great that I have found this forum :)

Really good to have yet another older rider - And very sorry to hear of your fall. Well done for getting on the horse again!
Interesting point about mounting. You may like to know that the trainer Mark Rashid said that after the rider mounts, both horse and rider are naturally tense. Even the best riders. It is instinctive reaction so not something to blame yourself for. The horse is having to steady itself to the weight on its back and the rider no longer has his or her feet on firm ground.

Rashid's advice is that, after mounting, one should take a little time to relax in the saddler, breath deep and soften your hands on the reins till the horse lowers its head and softens too.
I find this very useful. One usually mounts in a busy yard and hurries to adjust the girth or stirrups - or the RI does this for one, eager to get on with the lesson. But there is real benefit in not rushing it.
The other suggestion is that after a major accident like you had, you should each time only do what you are comfortable with - even if you are only being led round in walk. Once you are comfortable doing that - then move on to the next stage. I have once or twice been really truly scared by serious accidents to people we knew and I got back to normal very slowly, only doing the riding I enjoyed. First in the school and then venturing out hacking on a very old slow horse with an old slow teacher too. There are moments when we older riders need to be encouraged to do more than we thought we could. But after an accident is not the time.
If it is the horse that is the problem - you can find plenty of advice for teaching a horse to stand to be mounted and most of that is done from the ground - so you can do it with a RS horse.

newrider.com