High starch or protein that causes issues?

Marusenka

Aug 10, 2006
I am looking into putting my boy on a balancer as it seems daft to keep supplementing his ordinary feed with vits and mins etc and he also needs to be on something that will provide some energy and condition without any fizz! A balancer seems ideal and then if he needs any extra energy i can add something to it if needed! He will get Fibergy with it so should have enough energy for work.

What i'm wondering is why the protein levels in Balancers are so high compared to cereal mixes and whether this would not be a good thing so i should keep him on the supplements instead?
I always thought that yes protein is good for repair etc but too high levels can cause problems. A horse at my yard got swellings on his legs which the vet attributed to high protein! Is this right or is it high starch which causes this. I know starch can cause excitability etc which is another reason why i wanted to switch to a balancer initially as the levels of starch and sugar are much lower!

Does protein that high (25%) cause any issues and would switching to the balancer be a good thing with the fibergy and then add a cube or mix or sugar beet at a later stage if his energy requirements demand it?

Everything I've read in the last few years suggests that it's starch levels that tend to cause problems - excitability, lamminitis, tying up etc. Also remember that you tend to feed small quantities of a balancer so although the protein percentage may look high the actual amount of protein he gets from the balancer each day won't be excessive.

yep high protein/starch can cause problems.

My horse got swollen legs a few weeks ago after eating really rich - almost like silage - haylege.

I was also advised to take him off starch whilst he under went poor performance tests as a suspected factor that could be causing this.

Protein does not cause excitability - contrary to common belief. It's definitely definitely defionitely starch levels, and balancers are fed in such (comparably) small amounts to mixes and cubes that the level really isn't enough to cause massive significant behaviour changes unless the horse is particularly sensitive.
If in doubt you can always contact a nutritionist (perhaps one from the company your balancer is from).

x

I never feed high starch feeds such a mixes, it reduces consistancy in way of going IMO.

Protein contains amino acids which are essential. Protein builds the body tissues and cells.

Startch is the one you want lower levels of:)

I think because you feed such small quantities of balancers the protein isnt an issue but if you are unsure, email one of the companies and see what they say. I did years ago but cant remember the reply, I know that it wasnt a problem.

Because of the high cost of feeds and wanting to feed as naturally as possible, I feed dried grass pellets which are v high in protein. Because it is v good quality spring grass I treat it the same I'm careful not to overfeed.

Perhaps email a few different companies to put your mind at ease.

newrider.com