Highs and lows of 2019...

Highs.... jumping our first ever 60cm round... and winning the class! Also, jumping 80cm in the grid.

Lows.... saying goodbye to Jack and Albi.

(Ditto CM - good to see you, Lauren xx)

Reactions: Feawen
Too many lows to put on here but missing the black beastie has definitely been a constant low for me.

My highs have been Faran continuing to delight and surprise me. His showing wins this year have been amazing and he’s got such a great temperament and attitude about it all. Strutting our stuff at Aintree and showing up horses old enough to be his great grand sire with his calm attitude were the icing on the cake this year.

life wise moving to my new job has been a high for me. Finally loving going into work daily and not sitting on the car park crying for15/20 mins everyday has been like a tonne weight lifted from me.

@lauren123 would love to hear yours too?

I'll just mention the highs!

Ales feet looking fab finally
Ale in general doing well
Clicker training him has been a joy
That he's got more cuddly
Great year couldn't ask for more with him
Watching the foal being born
Her growing up to 6 months
Seeing her and new playmate (another 6 month old foal) every day!

Personally few highs were getting 85% overall in my first year at uni, beginning volunteering at a wildlife hospital, and walking to Brighton in 25 hours straight!

Highs - keeping both my lovely old girls in a life of (I hope) happiness and good health. It's a constant wonder to me how well Chloe looks and is, and I am eternally grateful for Mr T keeping me upbeat about rehab for Storm's leg. She's (touch wood) done great and her turnout gets more and more, and she looks less and less lame / stiff. Onwards and upwards!
Lows - still having a very low confidence where Zi is concerned. Sadly I fell off on Christmas day and whilst it could have been so much worse, it both shocked and frightened me. The tiny bit I had left has now gone so next year will be all about finding a way forward in a ridden sense. I still love his silly red headed ways though :D and he remains a pleasure to work with on the ground and be around.

@lauren123 nice to see you again.x

Reactions: Feawen and domane
I can honestly say I have had the most amazing year even between the lows.

Promotion for me and another five years to stay were we live in our lovely little home with friends around us. OH finally getting that good job and the house sell going through after over two years he finally has his own money again and not paying someone mortgage.

My two beautiful dogs that delight me everyday just by being there.

Lows ginger and I had a tough year with numerous abscess then a splint and a crap comp seasons in general. My lump and surgery to remove it I was very ill for a few months.

Getting Edward what a delight he is being. Finished this year with my first proper trot on him.

A family holiday with OH parents it was awesome.

My parents are still here. Although dad is very ill but still here all the same.

Now everyday I wake up look around my life and smile on the inside so wide that I can’t help smile all the time. I feel blessed and loved.

At 1200 I will be celebrating about how great 2019 is and only hope that 2020 is half as good

Highs
Having fun on the mad grey thing (and jumping 110cm which I never in a million years I thought I would do)
Finally being allowed to work from home saving 2.5 hours commuting a day

Lows
The lorry constantly having some sort of problem

beginning volunteering at a wildlife hospital

Which one? I used to volunteer and be a trustee as Vale Wildlife Hospital

I used to see that on TV - I think it was called Wildlife SOS. Its partly why I ended up volunteering :)

Highs for me where getting sox out showing and doing some dressage. Knowing who my friends are and reconnecting with family.
Lows
Soxs arthritis getting worse makinh working him harder.
My mental health 70% of the time i have been ok 30% i have done things i regret and ended up in hospital.
However here is to a better 2020

2019 hasn’t been my year! It started with months of box rest, followed by my horse turning into a nutter during rehab and me losing all confidence with him. My lorry also had to be scrapped and our old life seemed to be over. But things are looking up as we go into 2020. Ben is now hacking out in walk for up to an hour per day, and hopefully by Easter we will have started trotting.

I have a lovely family who are so supportive of me and I feel very grateful for. I am studying towards a career change which is going to bring more challenges, but with their support I know I can do it. So bring on 2020!

Well done Ale. I resumed riding a year after head injury. I found a new share to hack. What more could one ask?
Just hope OH and I keep well. So many of us who have been on NR for yonks now have health problems and I wish you all well.

Highs of last year - I finally overcame my fear of riding my Icelandic horse, Klaengur. Now we are a team. It only took 8 years but hey, ho, we did it!
Lows of last year - lost our neighbour - he moved away. He was my mentor, trainer and farrier.

Anywho, life goes on, so they say!

2019 hasn't been my best horsey year, not as anything has happened, but life just took over!

OH and I bought our first house in the Spring/Summer -a huge milestone for us! I've been busy trying to learn about gardening:)

I was promoted at work.

OH's health has remained relatively stable, which is great.

I was able to move to a new yard where Pete is mainly living out 24/7 year but has meant we've sacrificed mid-week winter riding.

We've recent started competing in Horse Agility and scored a 2nd, 3rd and 5th place - hoping to carry that onto 2020! We've placed in all the dressage we've done too :)

We've also joined a TREC club, so hoping to start competing in that too in 2020.

I'm hoping for a bit less change in 2020 ;)

Reactions: Feawen and Trewsers
Nice thread idea Lauren. Wishing you and everyone more highs than lows for 2020!

On New Year’s Eve 2018 I moved with my partner into our own house, so we’ve been here a year now. It’s wonderful and I feel very lucky.

Taking stock of my time and finances and realising I could start looking for my next horse was a high. I thought it wouldn’t ever be possible for me.

Meeting Levi was a huge high at the time, and seeing him sail through his vetting was super. Getting my little box and going to pick him up in it was a bit terrifying but also a dream come true.

I’ve had plenty of lows with Levi since though! Him getting an infection after his castration, which was horrid for him and worrying for me. It also took away my opportunity to bring him back into work and get to know him properly before moving to a new yard. Then he moved, lost weight, developed his tack/back problem, had thrush, and then this mystery illness that caused his legs to swell. Spending time with him is a pleasure, but of course it’s upsetting too when he isn’t right, and I’m wondering when and where this is all going to end.

I also had my last ride on my old horse in 2019. He felt electric, doing a trec clinic that he loved, passaging through the clover leaf and cantering on the spot in the control of paces. But he has changed shape drastically now and I don’t believe he has the muscle tone to support a rider, so I think that really will be my last little sit on him. He loves his work and I don’t want him to struggle. He is well and happy in himself still, and 22 years riding him has been a privilege.

So I’ve had some very high highs, but horse-wise there were a few big lows to balance them out. It’s been a bittersweet year in horsey terms.

Reactions: Trewsers
newrider.com