Hind leg giving way?

Roofio

Jul 23, 2006
West Midlands
JR had a worrying episode this weekend. He was tied up on the yard when his hind end seemed to give way (it's possible that something spooked him but unlikely). He went down on his hind legs, scraped his hocks and a front leg but got himself back up in a few moments.

He isn't lame as such now (his back end has always been a bit off but nothing major), but very reluctant to lift the diagonally opposite front foot without leaning right back on his haunches and trying to snatch the foot back.

He's around 20 years old, a tall lad and has an injury to the hamstring on the other hind leg that's resulted in uneven muscle development around his hind.

Any ideas or experiences? :(:(

EPSM??

First thing that springs to mind with his size and what you describe,but I would have expected him to show signs before now at his age??

As you mention a previous injury though,I am guessing that might be a more logical guess??

Sorry more questions than answers:eek:

Maybe it was just a one off moment when he was dozing or something,and we just worry about these silly horses too much;)

EPSM has crossed my mind before as does a bit of leg waving. He has a very low sugar diet, oil and vit e already so is managed loosely as though he has EPSM.

No harm in the EPSM diet anyway like you say,I used to feed my heavy mare that way,'just in case'.

Only thing I can suggest is to up the oil (assuming he won't then have a weight problem??),and see if that makes any difference as believe it is the fat that helps the most.

Would suggest getting a diagnosis,but have heard it's difficult,and will probably only recommend the diet route anyway,so probably not worth the expense and discomfort to your big lad.

newrider.com