Holidays- Surfing-Riding- France?

Lot1983

Oct 16, 2006
The Cotswolds
Looking for a holiday that involves sun, surfing and horse riding. Probably for summer 2013

Any thoughts?

I'd prefer France but anywhere in Europe would be nice (I can only speak French and I hate going in 'blind' on a language).

The Algarve (Portugal) would do nicely. Lots of beaches (gorgeous ones too) and all sorts of watersports available, and there's a couple of riding centres near the coast too that I could recommend. And a LOT of English spoken there too.

The Algarve (Portugal) would do nicely. Lots of beaches (gorgeous ones too) and all sorts of watersports available, and there's a couple of riding centres near the coast too that I could recommend. And a LOT of English spoken there too.

Seconded :D (I grew up in Albufeira)

The Algarve is pretty much all English speaking and a lot of the riding centres in the region are too. You're also only a couple hours drive away from Spain with the Andalucia region bordering Southern Portugal (where the Algarve is). The Spanish Royal Riding School is in Jerez de la Frontera and I think they do displays a few times a week - a nice day out and well worth the trip if you can make it.
There are a few beaches which are particularly popular for surfing - I forget the names off-hand but could find out. There's also a very popular sea-park called Zoomarine where you can swim with dolphins - I've yet to meet someone who didn't enjoy it!
The best time of year to go though is around summer - May or September/October. Then you avoid the major tourist crush and the major heat.

Also I don't know if you've been paying attention to the news lately, but Portugal is probably one of the cheaper holiday destination choices at the moment ;)

I've been to the Algarve before, it's beautiful!

It won't be for at least a year but having never surfed I have no idea where is good and where isn't!

newrider.com