home made fly repellant

donnamm

Feb 23, 2006
The midges are already out in force and the flies will arrive soon. I used Avon skin so soft as fly spray last year, but it wasnt cheap. I went through loads of the stuff.

Does anyone have a home made recipe that really works? The Avon lady will be dissapointed but I wont.

Thanx

I know that Benzyl Benzoate is good for sweet itch wounds and keeping the flies away - worth a shot and its only about £3 from the chemist! :D

15ml citronella oil
2 tablespoon's methylated spirit
1 tablespoon washing up liquid (liqid soap if you're not in the UK)
4 tablespoons vinegar
1 mug cold strong tea
Top up to 2 litres with water
Transfer to a spray bottle

works on mine

I know that Benzyl Benzoate is good for sweet itch wounds and keeping the flies away - worth a shot and its only about £3 from the chemist! :D

i get embarrased asking for it !! It can be used to treat a variety of human 'aliments' aswell

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=012&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=220096632410&rd=1&rd=1

i use this, i had still got alittle left from last year and the flies were really bad in the stable last night, so i put some on them at 8pm and when i let em out at 9.30am i could still smell it, clear as anything, even with this stinking cold
i found it last alot long that others ive tried and its cheap,
ive just ordered more and also trying one of their sweet itch ones, India she does get itchy and it still has citronella in it,

Hi, could you tell in what quantities of ingredients you use. Do you use Savalon spray (not the stuff in a tube)?

Thanx

Shoo Fly

I am with you on this one, SHoo Fly really does work. I have just ordered a couple of bottles, they send it in concentrate to keep the price down, I put it in an empty 2L coke bottle fill with water and shake, then transfer into my spray bottle. Works a treat.

15ml citronella oil
4 tablespoons vinegar
1 mug cold strong tea

I use this one as well and it works well!! :)

15ml citronella oil
4 tablespoons vinegar
1 mug cold strong tea

works on mine

Thats exactly what i use on mine and it works a treat.
xXx

Thats exactly what i use on mine and it works a treat.
xXx

i use it too!:)

ditto.. put into a 5ltr pressurised spraying bottle :D pony chops didn't really approve of that mind :D

I use this one as well and it works well!! :)

15ml citronella oil
4 tablespoons vinegar
1 mug cold strong tea

works on mine

Feeling a little left out here, I better try it on Mayo when the flys start gathering:D

i use a much simple method but using two of your ingredients i just use a mug of cold tea and top the rest of the bottle up with vinegar. Works just as well

hey

i have this recipe made up
15ml citronella oil
4 tablespoons vinegar
1 mug cold strong tea

it is nearly the whole two liters left but it is from last summer(06) do you think this will be ok to use this year as the flies are out in force already and i don't have the stuff to make up anymore for now, or the time to go and buy some stuff at the moment.

hope someone can tell me thanks in advance.

lozzie an pinxx

newrider.com