Home Made Fly Repellents

HJ

Oct 13, 2008
East Midlands
I used to use a home made fly repellent but my friend always made it for me, she has now moved to Hungary and I forgot to get the 'recipe', can you tell me your most simple/effective method please, oh and where to get ingredients from if they are unusual

Muchos Thankos :D

well I haven't tried it yet but thelady who's horse I viewed yesterday uses vinegar and dettol diluted with water. there was not a single fly near any of her horses as apparenlty the flies can't land as they die if they get too close to the horse due to its potency. 1 of her horses has sweet itch but you wouldn't know and none of them seemed to have adverse reactions to it. She used to work for a top dressage rider and they used it on those horses and only needs applying once a day.

Sounds good, I wonder what the balance would need to be, don't think Id like to trial and error with dettol.

I say you go back for a second viewing (now) and ask the lady how she makes it ;)

If you do make something then patch test it first.

I was very embarrassed with my bald horse after I used a home made fly repellent (from a forum recipe!). He lost his hair in stripes - you could see where I had run the sponge over him. I felt such a fool - and no doubt he wasn't too chuffed either:eek:

If you do make something then patch test it first.

I was very embarrassed with my bald horse after I used a home made fly repellent (from a forum recipe!). He lost his hair in stripes - you could see where I had run the sponge over him. I felt such a fool - and no doubt he wasn't too chuffed either:eek:

Good idea, I am pretty desperate to get it sorted because Ive ran out and somebody has stolen my Fly Rug :mad:

yes I'm not sure of the quantity of each. That's why I am yet to try it didn't want to go overboard with dettol:eek: My old farrier used to use a mix of vinegar, lemon juice water and citronella

newrider.com