Home made fly spray

PePo

Jun 4, 2014
Has anyone got any recipes that work?

Fly spray is almost £20 a bottle and is Pete is sensitive to flies, I'm getting through almost a bottle of a week.

I'm tempted to try and make my own, but no idea what I'd need?!

If anyone has a a recipe, it'd be much appreciated :)

X

I used citronella oil mixed with water one year and it was okay - nothing to shout about but then again I don't rate many shop sold ones either. I am pretty sure folks on here have a few ideas though.

Reactions: Rosycheeks
I make my own with citronella, cold tea, lavender and a touch of dettol. Seems to work for mine :)

Reactions: Aln
Ooh, great thanks!

Where do you buy Citronella from? I've got some NAF citronella leave on wash, which you dilute with water - would that work?!

I found a recipe online about 4 years back which I tried and it was amazing. 2 lemons cut up, some garlic cloves, vinegar and about 500ml of cold tea. Boil it up for about half an hour, leave to cool and pop in a bottle. Worked a treat, flies came no where near them, or me for that matter.. probably because it stank so bad, although I came to love the smell. Saying that I found an old bottle of branded fly spray at work the other day and that smelt something similar so I must of been on to something.

Reactions: PePo
Citronella, little bit of baby oil, conditioner and water. Home made mane and tail with added fly spray properties! Has been working for us :)

Reactions: PePo and Ruskii
newrider.com