Home-made mane & tail detangler

chickflick1066

May 7, 2004
West Yorkshire
Current bottle of M&T has just finished today. I was looking to make a batch, what do you think I should use?

> Baby oil
> Human conditioner
> Water

Shake to mix and should be ready to use?

What concentration should I mix it?

I've seen some people use furniture polish but I'm not gonna go there, afterall she's not my horse!

Last edited:
My cob is sensitive so i wouldn't want to make it out of anything that will cause rash. I do use baby oil and that is it.

I used furniture polish on Ben's tail once & once only, it left his tail sticky & was horrible.Baby oil on it's own is fine or plain pig oil is really good.:smile:

I have tried a few different combinations for detanglers and IMO you can't beat the shop bought stuff - cant think of the brand right now but none I have ever made was as good :wink:

I have used furniture polish but always the silicon free and never regularly just when I run out of mane and tail conditioner :biggrin:

Have to say, Canter mane and Tail spray goes a LONG way! It isn't the cheapest, but it does what it says on the tin and lasts years. (I am not given to random grooming of tails mind you - I tend to leave them au naturel!)

newrider.com