honesty appreciated- best and worst things about loving horses

ahh...I really think the good outweighs the bad by far!!

Good:
they are amazing animals, who want to love you and be loved.
they have so much heart and they try so hard to please
they can do just about anything (depending on the horse)
they can keep you sane when all else fails (I know, been there)
my horse was the only one who would let me cry on her shoulder when i *really* needed it.
they can be your best friend

and sooo much more!!

Bad:
It's so hard letting them go
they cost far too much (but we all spend it anyway :rolleyes: )
can be easily injured (they or you)
backbreaking stall cleaning work (though I must admit, i actually enjoy that part of it!)

When you know you should be studying so you can eventually be well off enough to afford to keep them yourself you still can't force yourself to ride less then 3 times a week:(

i don't think that i can sucessfully put into words the emotions that horses make me go through.

the feeling of being at one with the horse, yourself and the universe.....to know that here is a friend of yours forever....who will be there whatever else your life throws at you and will never judge you like others judge you........
The feeling of humiliation when you are sat in a puddle of squidgy mud looking up at a long face that is almost laughing at you in their special way saying....i told you so....... the feeling of comfort that only they can bring you by being there....silent when you need them.
Without horses my life is nothing....a cracked hip so easily over looked.....bruised toes, cuts, aches pains.......without them i don't think i could survive in this world......they are my silent rock in this forever stormy sea that is life...
these are my feeble attempts to put into words what the horse means to me...there are no words to describe it, only emotions....

best thing - it's that hard to describe feeling that being with horses gives me. Unconditional love plus obedience plus respect plus companionship and a desire to do things together as one. It's something you can't get anywhere else.

worst thing - the cost! You can't own horses cheaply; no matter how much money you have, there is always something else you want to buy. First it's finding tack. Then it's upgrading the tack. Then it's building (or renting) them more pasture room and a bigger home. And add of course the vet, farrier, feed, and other bills. And now that I have horses I'm dying for the perfect trailer (which for me is about $14,000).

But in the end... I'd rather be going broke than be without my horses. :D

pengapenga....thank you...
that all came straight from the heart. but there are feelings in there that i cannot describe. I don't think anybody can succesfully put into words how much something as dear to them as this feels. But i know that there are lots of others who feel the same. I just did my best, but it's still not good enough.

The best things are:
What she teaches me , about myself . She makes me push my self out of my comfort zone.
She accepting of who I am.
She listens to me , without comment.

Worse thing about horses:
For me is the constant conflict I have with hubby over the amount of time I spend riding.
I have tried to cut down to 2 times a week , but I just can not do it. I have to ride 3 at least to feel like I am doing the right thing for her and myself.
:p

april, don´t sell yourself short. I thought your writings were good:D

denise42 - had a quiet smile at your comment constant conflict with hubby:) I feel this maybe part of my life too, I don´t think he know what he has let himself in for now that he has bought me a horse:D :D

Denise42 - yep was going to put the exact same thing about OH. Trying to get him to love them too and to give him his due he is having lessons but still continues to cause regular conflicts.

Good - I wouldn't like to live without him. OH knows that. He keeps me sane!

:D

The best thing was working to earn my horse's trust and love, and once I got it, the relationship that followed was one of the most wonderful experiences of my life.

The worst thing was losing him to cancer, and feeling as though part of me died too. It has been nearly two years, and I still think of him every day.

the worst:-

going out for a nice hack only for horse to spook at something small and insignificant (but obviously not to her !), she went over a ditch through a wire fence, dumped me on the floor and galloped off. I start walking after her imaging a "cheese wired" horse and looking for the drops of blood on the floor. Ringing my other half and getting the answer machine - he has Post Traumatic Stress so this is that last thing he needs. Trudging homewards with still no sign of horse....

(end of story was that I caught up with her just as she reached the stable. She was NOT cheesewired - had lost various saddle bags, and the saddle was under her tummy and muddy. OH got a taxi out and drove me home).

the best: knowing Fi is mine. fullstop.

(sounds like its a possession thing but its all the things about being her owner).

thats probably not fair - cos I've had loan horses in between owning my own, and its been just as good. i.e. its not about horse ownership. But its ALL those moments like when they whicker to you to say hello. When you go on a winter ride and its crisp and slightly foggy and you see a deer, or fox, or bird of prey... and you're just "at one".

I have to many good things to list here :D So honesty appreciated here one thing that got me today was i was at a dressage trial and my bf and four of my mates came to visit which was great. Then they left to head to the beach and I was left nervous, tired and cold with the rest of a silly trial ahead of me. So I miss out on a lot of fun things they get to do on the weekend...... (I get sad/jealous that I get left behind and just hear about it all)

But in the end horses are way way way worth it! :D

I dont thinks there's anything bad in loving horses. They're just beautiful but I would say in all seriousness that the more I see of human beings, the more I love my pony and my cats!!! I've never seen an animal get in an aircraft and bomb a city, rape a child, murder old folk, steal money and belongings or persecute fellow workers at the office etc etc etc. Oh dear, have I opened a can of worms? Good discussion point.

Why'd you want to open a can of worms?:D :D :D
no....good point though...i'm in the army....but do the job i have to do, i'm a musician at the end of the day...i'd only go to battle as a medic....a streacher bearer and would only fire my weapon if there was a seriouse threat of the casualty being injured....because at the end of the day, although i would carry a weapon it is for the casualties protection not for mine....and if you fire it then people are more likely to fire back at you.......And the geneva conventions state that there be no firing at persons bearing the red cross on their arm...or uniform...or the red crescent!......these rules should be complied bt but lets face it in modern warfare where people hide arms in temples and fight from ambulances these rules hardly seem to apply!!!!:eek:

Apri,l if war broke out again say like soon, I would go and join the Black Riders!!!!
Obviously if someone starts war on another country then it's quite ligitamite to fight back. However war has never yet solved anything which is proven by the fact that there has, apparently, only been 3 years of 'perfect' peace since WW2. So my father and all those young men who fought so bravely did so for nothing!!!And there it is in a nutshell!!!!!!

The best things? The whinny when you are spotted across a field, or when you come into the yard. Or seeing them in full flight across the field stretching their legs or racing eachother.

The worst? The nerves on a bad day just before you climb aboard, or worse still, when you are already onboard something you don't trust.....

I'll probably be saying exactly the same as most other people have said by the sounds of it :)

Good -

The yodelling you get when she realises mum's here (although this could be purely down to her expanding girthline :D and not me)
The nose on your back when she wants a fuss.
The sense of achievement you get when you both manage to do something which used to be impossible.
The sense of fun they bring us - i can believe i'm a jockey galloping across the field if i want :p
The feeling of pride you get when you realise the magnificent beastie has a bond with you (sort of understand now how parents get that feeling of pride when they watch their kids, although i'm not sure they feel glee when watching their kids bucking and farting their way across two fields playing :D )

Bad -

The sheer lack of confidence sometimes
When all several hundred kilogrammes stands on your foot and doesn't move.
When you muck out and quickly shove them in a stable to put a turnout rug on and then go to turnout to find them having a wee all over the clean bedding. :mad:

newrider.com