honesty appreciated- best and worst things about loving horses

today the bad and good have been thrown in my face

bad- that malibu decides its a good plan to gallop away around the field when im feelng ill and all i wanted was a couple of cuddles and a nice chilled out hack, so i sit and cry instead. and the money side. and that there are never enough hours in the day.

but on the flip side- the people you meet, cant beat em im afraid, little ponies who are mad but made me smile when i needed it, the look a horse gives you when you fall off, the angel face! the satisfaction when something you spent your whole life trying to acheive clicks into place and the drive it gives you to succeed.

And the feeling of complete freedom

oh and the joy i get from seeing kids bond with a pony, especially if they have a troubled life, and especially if it takes their pain away like its done mine

the best bits are

having unconditional love
being at one with your ned
having somewhere to escape when all your life around you is falling apart
someone who will never spill your secrets but always listens
the thrill of going full tilt across a field with your eyes streaming in summer or winter!

the bad bits are

worrying incessantly about them if there too cold in the winter months.
when theyre sick they canot tell you whats wrong
Other non horsey people not understanding what it is to own & ride horses, and say its only an animal

and worst of all for me, will be the day i have to say goodbye to my greatest love of all, i just hope when that day comes, he goes peacefully lying in his field grazing with his mates hes taught me many many things and i could never thank him enough for all hes given me, unfortunately i could never replace him! but i don't think i could ever live without a horse in my life!

good - the serenity i feel on the way home from a long ride when I and my horse did something "together" and not "parallel"
bad - not having any money left to do enything else - but then there is no time to spend on anything else either:D

Bad -
That once you discover you have a passion for horses, life with out horses may leave money in your pocket, but a hole in your heart.
You never have any money.
People think you are mad because you'd rather spend your weekends covered in cr@p and horse slobber than out partying.
That you feel so many conflicing emotions all at the same time.
That one day you will have to make that awful decision on whether to sell/put to sleep.
They have the ability to make you feel totally useless and want to give up horses.

Good -
They teach you so much, about them, and yourself.
They cheer you up when you're having a bad dayand forget your troubles.
They make you feel special when they call to you from across the field and come cantering over.
They make you feel free when going for a blast out hacking.
They give you good exercise.
They are loyal friends.

The best:

Just that feeling of escaping everything else and thinking of nothing but your horse. When I am hacking Dot, I spend the whole time having a conversation with her. She uses her whole body, ears and face etc. to tell me what she is thinking about and how she is feeling. When she sees something interesting her ears flicker and her head rises slightly. I also know that she picks up on my moods and when I am upset she really looks after me. Both my loan horses are people I can go to who will offer me unconditional support.

The worst:

The feeling of utter uselessness when it all goes wrong! Once it took me 45 minutes just to catch my horse and I went home and cried for about 3 hours!

The best:

a whole new circle of friends.
hacking out alone after a s*** day at work; problems just disappear.
learning how to care for this 18hh gentle giant.
escapism.

The worst:

kids at yard can't help bath him cos he's sooo big.
not being able to spend everyday with him.
not having time for supermarket shopping.

Yep, I'm well and truly hooked after 6 months of horse share; it's the best thing I have ever done.

Originally posted by Brewers Pride
I agree, but without doing the supermarket run, there's no food and eating is one of my fave pastimes!!!

I agree with you there, although sometimes I am successful in convincing hubby to do it! (although he does come home with a lot of unnecessary stuff;) :D )

the best thing has to be the fact that no matter how bad you feel your horse will always love you and let you pour out your feelings without judging you. You can't beat the feeling of a horse putting her head on your shoulder for a cuddle.
The worst has to be the mud and going out in all weathers.

The best and the worst

The best: You can't find a better friend. She's there at the end of a bad day to give me a hug, and at the end of a good day to prance around with joy.

The worst: Loving a non horse person, who sometimes believes she stands out in the pasture just thinking up ways to make his day bad!!! See Broken fences. I told him she really loves him and didn't break the fence on purpose.

good: well.... i dont really know where to begin, just the fact that horses are amazing and when you get a special bond with a horse it never fades, and they remember you 5 years later!!! ummmm what else, the adrenalin rush you get when you're flying across a field, the feeling you get after jumping a clear round in a competition, the fun you have when you do gymkhana on a tiny pony and win every game.
edit: also good: winning something and you dont expect too because you've only spent a week on that horse
bad: sooo sooo expensive

Last edited:
the feeling of sheer energy that the horse communicates to you via everything......the canter up the hill that suddenly exploads into a gallop....right through to those peaceful moments where your horse stands whith his head resting against you..........i'm sorry major horse withdrawal symptoms going on here!!!!!

Attn: April
Forgive me if I'm going mad but did u ask me if I knew any livery yards out of London? I cant find the thread now and cant be bothered to got through everything? If it was you, I can give u the name of a couple of yards.
l
:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Cheko
Attn: April
Forgive me if I'm going mad but did u ask me if I knew any livery yards out of London? I cant find the thread now and cant be bothered to got through everything? If it was you, I can give u the name of a couple of yards.
l
:rolleyes:

umm somewhere yes i did......but alas as i have no prospect of a horse for a tiny while it is not too urgent ...but still yes, i'd love to have your views on yards etc!!!!

newrider.com