Hoof boot wear

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I have had me Renegade Vipers for maybe 3 years now and they are wearing (as you would expect) at the toe, the thing is Jess breaks over to the outside of the toe, always has and I don't have any disillusions about fixing it, but her boots very clearly show this in the way they are wearing, my instinct is to trim/file the toe of the boot to rebalance it so that the uneven wear doesn't encourage her to get even more wonky, does that sound logical?

She does great now without boots 98% of the time but there are lots of tree roots sticking up in the paths in the forest and lots of flint's too, and she's fine until she finds one of those at speed then she can then end up with a bruise so I just boot as a precaution. If we were just road riding or on more consistent grass footing she would go without.

No I wouldn't touch the boot. The hoof grows boots are permenant.
It might even be time to replace, see how she wears an untouched pair, and start using just after a fresh trim.
I sold mine on but she is base wide in how she wears the hoof, but I've never altered the boot. I only ever kept two years before they needed replacing but Trails are probably not so robust.

Reactions: Jessey
Why would you not balance the boot? we do with feet all the time
These were untouched/new when I started using them, she has always worn the outside of her toe more than the inside, did without boots and when the boots were new

Because for me I would be over fiddling. Excess wear and tear I would replace.
Its not excess all over tho, most of the sole you can hardly tell they've been used a lot, its just excess in 1 spot, if it were on the hoof I would balance it so it seems counter intuitive for me not to do the same on the boot.
I don't really get what you mean by over fiddling? do you mean you would not be confident to make those adjustments? or that you think its an adjustment that should not be made based on some solid principle of physics?

newrider.com