Hoof Boot woes

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Jess is now sound on soft, hard level and loose stoney surfaces, its just hard compacted stone and that lone stone on the road that gets her.
Shes had cavallos (simple size 2/118-125mm) for years but I still think I cooked her feet in them the weekend the lameness first appeared so been trying alternatives.
I measured her after a trim as 120x120mm (seems about right as cavallos are loose but not too big), sent pics to scoot boot and brought a pair in the size they reccomended (size 3 115-125wX115-120l), but IMO they are too big, but I think the size down will be a stretch to get on and still be too wide as I can get a finger down either side.
IMG_20160601_150830.JPG
Then ordered some renegade vipers (125x125) according to their instructions of going +5mm and I cant even nearly get the buggers on :(
IMG_20160601_150854.JPG
I've emailed various boot suppliers for reccomendations and 1 came back asking for more info which I sent within 15 mins of getting the email over a week ago and haven't heard back on, the another suggested old macs but they fully enclose the hoof which is what I'm trying to avoid. Its all so frustrating and expensive too!

Yes the scoot boots do look too big. They should be tighter at the back. I always thought my boy didn't have big feet but he is in a size 7 in the scoot boots o_O He took a size 2 in the easy boot trails.. I'm glad she is improving:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jessey
I would offer you Belle's old easy boot gloves but they would be way too small for Jess :-( Horrible and expensive isn't it. It's a shame they don't offer a try before you buy for fit.

Reactions: Jessey
That's made me think twice. My pony is also size two Cavellos. I was looking at buying Scoot Boots this time as they have good reviews. I would have just gone off size charts to order equivalent size....

Good lord! What a rip off :eek:
I think you then get some of it reimbursed if you buy but I think id need to try a couple of types so would be costly, at least buying good second hand I can get my money back by selling on.

That's made me think twice. My pony is also size two Cavellos. I was looking at buying Scoot Boots this time as they have good reviews. I would have just gone off size charts to order equivalent size....
I don't understand how a measurement in mm can be so differently interpretated really, it seems mad

We have a break through, kind of, I borrowed some easyboot gloves from a friend and tried those yesterday and they worked well but weren't as snug fitting as they are meant to be so she'd probably need half a size down, which is fine but when we put easy-shoes on they made her very sore so I'm nervous about anything that is too tight on her feet as we think thats what made her sore in the easy shoes.
I'm at the point of wishing I could just put shoes on and be done with it but given she just spent 3 months in them lame and was sounder as soon as they were pulled, well I've got to listen to her.

I'm trying to avoid any boot that fully encloses the foot, so I think sccots, renegades and glovesare my only options. Scoots are out so just have to decide whether to buy bigger renegades or gloves now, decisions decisions o_O

Thats for sure, though I'm touching up her feet every 4 days at the moment so hopefully it won't make such a difference

I tried 1W, but think she'd really need a 0.5W, she's got ickle footsies for a chunky monkey :p My friend is loaning me her 1W's for a while and I've ordered more renegades to try, they should be here tomorrow :D

newrider.com