Hoof boots and pads for those who are barefoot

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Ok got almost new pair of boas, but decided not what i want, so selling. So who uses cavallo, renegrade or the new glove?
These are my shortlisted other pairs.
Currently ordering pads to use with tape for roadwork to see if helps lameness.
Pony lame in trot on hard ground but has no throbbing digital pulse. It's the right fore. Never had shoes on.
He lifts as opposes to nods someone mentioned it's soreness in some column in the leg?
Vet coming out as well.

How do you mean he "lifts" as opposing to nodding? do you mean his head? his head should be lifting when the sore foot/leg is on the ground.. the "nodding" comes from when the good leg is on the ground..so if he were "nodding" on the near fore, he'd actually be lame on the off fore....

My friend has the new glove boots and is happy with them, although one did come off the other day....

Like idea of glove as it's very similar to my pad and tape. Would be easier to use as and when.
He'll nod in trot led, but if ridden the head is held up and slightly to the right. So is pain somewhere.

I have renegades,they are really good boots.Easy to get on and off,stay on and well designed in regards to not rubbing etc,really can't fault them TBH,they even look cool!!

Their only downfall IMO is that they suit certain foot types better than others (guess that is true of any boot though??),my lad doesn't really have the right 'type' of feet for them,and hence I am having a problem with one of them twisting,but that is to do with his feet rather than the boots,and I am trying to persevere as I love my renegades so much!!
For a horse/pony with the right type of feet though,I really don't think they can be beat.

The only other boots my trimmer suggested we try if the problems can't be resolved is the easyboot glove,she's heard good things about them apparantly,so am guessing they might be good?? I don't like the sound of the very snug fit though that I have heard you need to have with the gloves??,(I have enough trouble now with rapidly growing feet and fitting them into boots,not sure I want something really tight to start with!!),let me know if you decide tog et some though,would be interested to hear what they are like:)

Yes trimmer said boas not right for my chap.
I trim in between him coming so snug fit wouldnt worry me. I want as spares as really want jack completely bare. It's just being bit lame in trot at moment. Boots are likely to do job better than my diy pad and orange duct tape.
Would get fit kit first.

I bought cavallo boots 2 yrs ago as we had lami 7 times and wanted to stay barefoot, also never shod.

I chose them because of my arthritus in my hands and didnt want anything fiddly especially in winter when he wears them on icy turnout. The velcro is very easy to do, no turning knobs as with some of the others. No spare parts to worry about either.

They have never come off and I am now having to get a second pair for the back as he had mild lami again this year and dont want to take him on the road without.

I have had my cavallo simple boots for 2 yrs they have never come off and he wears them all day for turnout on icy ground in winter. He can still rear and buck and play with other horses and ponies. I havent cantered him wearing them though. (Also due to lami dont want to put pressure on him)

Ordering back pair today! Pics on my photobuket through my albums on my page. Cheaper than the others from Robinsons £85

people i know have horses were the renegrades fly off, i guess it depends

Not saying that doesn't happen,but I personally have not experienced that,neither has anyone I know who has them,although I have heard of it happening with other boots.

I believe Yann has mentioned that you do need to ensure the bottom strap is tight for fast work,and I would agree that the starp needs to be tighter than most people think for a good fit with no movement,so maybe this has been the problem when people have lost their renegades??

Like I have mentioned in various posts about rebegades I do think they fit certain types of feet better than others,so again maybe this has been an issue with people you know who have had problems??
If your pony has the right type of feet to get a good fit with the renegades though,I don't think they can be beat:)

It would be worth getting a vet involved if you don't know exactly what is causing the lameness.

As for boots have you looked at Hoofwings?I know someone who has them and says they are the best thing ever.

I use renegades, and did have a twisting problem initially. However, my chap does move toeing in. Also as his heels improved as time passed so the boots stay central. As feet have improved so has the straightness moving, so it may just take time? They are not cheap, and they do not come in large sizes, so not suitable for all horses. I have never lost one and even when twisting were not a problem. I did put pads inside, which did not help.
Also have easy boots epics, hard to put on initially and can rub back of heels on very thin skinned horses. Hope this helps.
Your horse sounds to have other than just foot problems by the head carriage. My chap when first showing lameness was very 'mouthy' not at all normal for him. Could just be another way of showing discomfort. Hope all satisfactorily resolved ;)

I just got a pair of Renegades this week and I love them. In the past, I have tried Cavallo Simple Boots, Old Macs, and Easyboot Epics. I disliked the Old Macs and Easyboots (found they were forcing the hoof in ways it wasn't going naturally) and while the Cavallos worked, they never seemed to fasten snugly enough and I hated the boot clunking around on his hoof (we tried padding, gaiters, different sizes, nothing made them stay put). My horse is not completely straight through the pastern, and the Renegades are flexible enough to accomodate his twists where they occur and stay fitted where they should. It took me a few tries to put them on properly (crank in the hoof strap, keep the pastern strap loose) but once you get the hang of it they are quite quick. The kicker for me was seeing my horse move in them for the first time- we've had terrible weather this summer which has made him a bit footsore, but he is moving beautifully in these boots. I took him on the trails today, and the boots were great. I've never heard of any coming off (nor can I imagine that happening, given the fit). All in all, I can never see myself going back to another boot.

That being said, if lameness is your concern, I would strongly urge you to consult your vet about it before buying boots. There are a whole host of problems that can be exacerbated by hard ground other than ouchy hooves.

newrider.com