Hoof Boots in Icy Conditions

sjp1

Sep 14, 2009
Well today has been the first day we have had a real bad icy and frosty day.

Tobes is bareboot, slid like a good un going down the track - thought barefoot was better for traction - clearly not, however, on the upside, he can now feel his feet so went very slow which is a massive plus!

Field didn't defrost all day and tomorrow looks the same. He said the field hurt his feet and was very pecky coming up the track.

Have decided to turn him out with boots on tomorrow as same conditions as today - field frozen solid - but will he slip more going down the track than with no boots on?

I don't go out in icy conditions booted or not, but
we have one patch of muddy track that was rock hard and ice and she was fine.
If you really want the boots to help traction you want ice studs on the bottom, on all four to notice a difference.
Some people boot, I personally don't.

The boots are designed to mimic the grip of their feet, grip but some give too so I don't think it will make things any worse in that department

I prefer barefoot. We were hacking the other day and a couple of times Kia slipped but regained traction pretty quickly :)

I don't imagine boots would give good grip in those circumstances.

I don't go out in icy conditions booted or not

If you really want the boots to help traction you want ice studs on the bottom, on all four to notice a difference.
Some people boot, I personally don't.

I don't ride if its icy either.
I never even would think of turning out w boots on. They can feel their feet better w/o the boots.
I also think the studs would be needed on the boots .
If its muddy then quick freeze to lumpy bumpy they don't like that much but I still would not go the boots route.

Well i turned him out in his boots. Hr didn't slip any worse than he did barefoot and was a while lot happier on the frozen clods of earth. Didn't want bruised soles and absesses so just have to hope one day of being barefoot in those conditions wont have done too much damage.

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com